Need a little help. I'm looking at a Super Hawaii

Notices

Need a little help. I'm looking at a Super Hawaii

Old 04-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a little help. I'm looking at a Super Hawaii

The trouble is it is in Kansas City, 10 hours away. I don't have any problem buying a bot that far away. I've never seen a Super Hawaii , other than pictures. Does anyone know of any around Lake Michigan that I can look at, with out makeing that 10 hour drive to find out the cockpit is to small? My main concern is the narrow beam. I realize it's great for cutting through waves, but I'm a big guy and like the extra room of a wider beam.

On the other hand I like something that you don't see 3 of in every marina.

Thanks guys
Mark
Old 04-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a 34' staggered engine boat or a 40'? I may know it from LOTO.
Gary
Old 04-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I bet they built less than 100 boats before they stopped building them.

Seemed like when the Super Hawaii race boat came back to the crane with a crack down the side of the hull, that was the end.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

I have a friend with 34' one. I never noticed the cockpit seeming especially small, but like Gary said, it is a staggered engine setup so I'm sure that cuts it down some.

I do recall the fuel tanks actually being located in the engine hatch which seemed a bit scary to me.

At a glance the boat bears a resemblence to the 34' magic. May be similiar hull designs. He says it's an Aronow design, but that could be just heresay.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

The one I'm looking at is a 34' w/ staggered engines.
There is one on Ebay also one on traderonline. I like the one on traderonline. Both boat at LOTO I think both are currently in KC.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

I've rode in 2 34s at LOTO. Small cockpit, staggered engines and wide rail around the cockpit. The boats are very heavy. I'm not sure about their construction, coring, etc. but they seemed solid. They also cam with lots of goodies like external hydraulic steering. The main problem was that they seemed to porpoise A LOT. I've been in a couple different staggered boats around 32' (34' includes the swim platform) and they all seemed to do this at moderate speeds. It could have been due to bottom design or drive height, but I think it may have been just too much weight forward on that size boat. You may be able to solve this with extension boxes, props, and playing with the drive height, if they'll fit under the platform.
Another problem you might want to check into first was pointed out above. Very few of these were made, they may not be listed in the Blue Book or BUC Book. My bank wont finance anything that's not in their Blue Book and my insurance co. would not cover it either. There are ways around this, but it may be a consideration for you or the next person you sell it to.
my $0.02
BTW, there seems to be a lot of these around LOTO because there was a SH dealer down there for a year or two.
Gary
Old 04-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

A friend of mine has a 40 footer with twin 502's, I'll email this post and try to coax him on here to give his opinion...

Rick
Old 04-03-2002, 07:01 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Back to the top for the night crew.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:23 AM
Registered

Your right that you won't see three Super Hawaii's at a marina. They only made two sizes, 34 and 40. I have a 40. It is by far the widest boat shapped like a cigar. My beam is almost a foot and a half wider then a cigarette or Fountain. The mold was from the "Midnight Express" they purchased from Cigarette. Most were sold under that name to South America. When the customs agents moved to Cats and Helo's, the market shrunk. Super Hawaii (today its Intrepid) bought the mold and only made 13 - 40's. I have hull #11. Sweetest ride on the Chesapeake Bay when it kicks up. My friends in the Hampton Roads Powerboat association talk of the rough ride we just had and I have to ask them to keep it down because my 4 year old son fell asleep during the ride. I'm not the fastest, but I enjoy the walk ups with "Where did you find this" expression on their face.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Registered

Here is one on ebay!

Super Hawaii - 34

Quick Reply: Need a little help. I'm looking at a Super Hawaii

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.