Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bravo 1 vs Mirage II Plus?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21522-bravo-1-vs-mirage-ii-plus.html)

AC 04-03-2002 01:13 PM

Bravo 1 vs Mirage II Plus??

What are your thoughts on these two props?

- Bravo 1 / four blade
- Mirage II Plus / three blade

For a twin application what would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I have a 1980 Cigarette 28 SS with twin 350's / 400 HP each /
TRS drives.

Thanks,
AC

Uncle Toys 04-03-2002 01:58 PM

Don’t know if this helps, because my boat is a cat (26’ Daytona Eliminator, actual length 26’10”). The engine package is close, 377’s/ 320 HP each/ Bravo 1 drives/ props turning out. I have tried both the 24” Bravo One four blades (top speed 78), and the Mirage three blade, (top speed 84). The only other difference I can perceive is getting on plane. The Mirages blow out and have to be nursed onto plane. Not sure if trim tabs would fix that. Haven’t done any testing in the mid range for speeds at RPM or acceleration – yet. But if there is a difference, I don’t notice it. I am starting to think, the real difference is getting a prop shop to talk unemotionally about the three blade. Try Mark at BAM.

Goodfella 04-03-2002 02:15 PM

HEY AC!
Where you bin hiding! I still have a pair of TRS drives here that you put your name on during the Miami Boat Show. WHATS UP! :confused:

blown formula 04-03-2002 03:44 PM

I have used both on a 252 Formula 5400# 600hp.
27 mirage blows out stock without ever coming on plane even with tabs.
26 bravo comes right up on plane, no blowout even on hard turn.
27 mirage recupped by Hoss Props......still blows out, reworked to maximum cup now & will hold but took reworking twice by an expensive (but good) shop.
I can see no difference in top speed (less than 1 mph).
I cannot even concieve of trying to pull up a skier with the Mirage, but the Bravo works fine for that too.
Overall, the Bravo has it, hands down the winner. :cool:

AC 04-03-2002 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info!

Question?

I was running 23 Mirage Plus II
Would I go to 22 Bravo 1 or 24 Bravo 1??

Thanks,
AC

:rolleyes:

THE BULL 04-03-2002 05:06 PM

ac,
i have a similiar set up with twin 500s on a 28 with trs's and i run bravo 1s 24 and could step to a 26, but i love the instant acceleration. you will notice a much better out of the hole experience with the four blades and the bite in the upper rpms is quite noticable. sean who has the twin sb with bravos also runs the bravo 1s 24.......try the 24s!! you will enjoy them

blown formula 04-03-2002 05:30 PM

Just be sure ti buy your props where they may be exchanged for no fee, like C_P Performance does. All it cost you is shipping costs. At one time I had 4 different propellors at the same time. I charged all of them to "the card" & then returned what I did not want & or exchanged for more props. They were very good to deal with. I was happy! There price was about $200 less than any prop shop around here & the locals did not want to exchange.
Check before you buy!

H2Xmark 04-03-2002 07:06 PM

smart call there blown formula, find someone who will trade them out if you dont like what you have, The drives on that boat are most likely on the low side so if you wont top speed the 3 blades would be best, might have to baby it on plane a little, if your X dimension is high you will have to run 4 blade props, they would give the best to plane time and cruising speed,

AC 04-04-2002 10:46 AM

Thanks guys!

I was running the Mirage 23 Plus and I will give the Bravo 1 a try.

Just not sure what pitch 22 or 24?

AC