OT:  Midwest Motor Vehicles dirtbikes >

OT: Midwest Motor Vehicles dirtbikes

Notices

OT: Midwest Motor Vehicles dirtbikes

Old 04-08-2002, 06:17 PM
kook

Question OT: Midwest Motor Vehicles dirtbikes

Midwest

Anyone know about these guys and their dirt bikes? My g/f was looking at buying a starter bike for her 9 year old.... maybe something like the Lynx 50, which looks a lot like the old Honda Z50R..... Not sure how readily available replacement parts are though.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kook, I've never heard of the lynx, but it still could be a good scoot, but I have found the Yamaha PW 50 IS A GREAT starter bike.. Its auto and simple to work on.. If you look around ,you should be able to find a used one, in good shape, where they have out grown it

instill early, how important a helmet is.....
Old 04-09-2002, 08:16 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it from me who has three boys under 11 who all wanted a mini bike. Try and find an older Z50 that is beat up and let the 9 year old ride it. The 9 year old will have a difficult time ruining it any more than it already is. If you buy something rather new, the kid will end up crashing it and everyone will have sad faces.

I bought a used 85 Z50 back in 96 when my kids were all under 5. Paid $ 400 for it and it was the best money I have spent. The paint was chipped, the tank was dented (didn't leak), tires were in rough shape but the smile it put on the boys faces was incredible.

I gave them each a helmet and said "have at it". At the time, my 4 year old ran it right into our backyard fire pit but never hurt the bike. The kids out grew that bike and now all have MX bikes. My 10 year old rides a 125 . I recently sold the Z50 to a friend who also has a few small kids that are willing to learn how to ride. I sold it for $ 275

The PW50 is OK but IMHO the Z50 would be the better choice because it requires the rider to learn how to shift gears. Eventhough the Z50 is an automatic, it still requires the rider to manually shift. The PW50 is like a go-kart, gas it and go.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot beat the Z50! I started on one that was my older sisters. She is 10 years older than I am and it ran like champ. I had the old one with metal gas tank. Red and white tank, metallic paint. Anyone remember? Those things are designed for the abuse kids throw at them and tehy perform extraordinarily well. I like the idea that they have to learn to shift as well. Just make sure they have ALL the appropriate safety gear. I raced Pro many years and NEVER rode without helmet, goggles, chest protector, gloves, MX boots and pants, shin guards and later knee support! It may be a bit expensive as they outgrow it quickly, but it is well worth it. Have FUN!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KOOK, even though 9 yrs old with no expereance, I would look for used PW80. Great starter bike and they won't grow out of it so fast. Has auto 3 speed and larger size. A 9 yr old will be growing very fast in the next year or two.