Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New 650 EFI from Young Performance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/215533-new-650-efi-young-performance.html)

jeff1000man 08-24-2009 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2938239)
It's from Hardin/Eickert. This is about the 10th version. Every one I get is just a little different than the last. They keep refining it to make it better. It is a really nice package. It's not cheap( about 3K), but I think it is worth the money. Everything is there (bolts, washers, belt, etc) and it alll fits.
Eddie

I just put one on a customers engine also. Worth the extra cash for the time saved and the convenience? It is a really nice package all together.

Young Performance 08-24-2009 10:48 AM

Yeah, I think it is worth it. I could do a stock Merc plastic pump and some cheap steel accessory brackets with V belts for about 1000-$1200 and it would work. It would not look nearly as nice, you would have multiple belts to tension, they make a lot of belt dust, you have to chase down the right size belts, the right length bolts,etc. To me, just the hassle is worth the money, not to mention how much nicer it looks. Also, I think it's the best out there and I would use it just for that.
Eddie

jeff1000man 08-24-2009 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2938254)
Yeah, I think it is worth it. I could do a stock Merc plastic pump and some cheap steel accessory brackets with V belts for about 1000-$1200 and it would work. It would not look nearly as nice, you would have multiple belts to tension, they make a lot of belt dust, you have to chase down the right size belts, the right length bolts,etc. To me, just the hassle is worth the money, not to mention how much nicer it looks. Also, I think it's the best out there and I would use it just for that.
Eddie

Their V belt kit is the one I used.

The ony suggestion that I would make is to send stainless bolts for the alternator bracket. They sent just regular steel bolts. I changed out to stainless.

Young Performance 08-24-2009 03:53 PM

Jeff,
I used the v belt setup in the past and it is the nicest v belt accessories out there. I still use it on the dry sump engines, since the serpentine is not set up for it. Someone screwed up on the fasteners because steel bolts are not normal. If you would have called them, they would have sent out the correct bolts. I have had that happen in the past. I had the correct hardware here but they offered to send it. Once you use the serpentine, you won't want to go back to the v belts.
Eddie

Catmando 08-24-2009 05:43 PM

Eddie have you had a chance to talk to Dart about their new 765ci aluminum block? With the right parts 900hp+ should be possible with a carb or EFI.

Young Performance 08-24-2009 11:01 PM

No, I haven't Cat. I have been wanting to do a BIG cubic inch NA engine. Every time I start to plan one out, I realize that I can make more power for the same money and a lot less hassle using a 598 with a 3.3 Whipple. The parts become so specialized to do a 700+ ci engine, that the cost shoots threw the roof. You wind up using one off or very uncommon parts, whereas a 598 can be all off the shelf stuff. I have figured up the prices many times and they come out about the same. However, I can easily make over 1000 hp with a 598 ci and a 3.3 Whipple. A 750 ci NA engine making 1.25 hp/ci only makes about 940 hp. Now, it would be cool. But, I have a hard time getting people to pay for cool. They want something proven and reliable that is not that hard to get parts for if it breaks.
This is just my thoughts on a big inch NA engine. With all that being said, I would still love to do one.
Eddie

jeff1000man 08-25-2009 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We used v belt on this one to save some coin. Turned out nicely.

RunninHotRacing163.1 08-25-2009 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 2938981)
No, I haven't Cat. I have been wanting to do a BIG cubic inch NA engine. Every time I start to plan one out, I realize that I can make more power for the same money and a lot less hassle using a 598 with a 3.3 Whipple. The parts become so specialized to do a 700+ ci engine, that the cost shoots threw the roof. You wind up using one off or very uncommon parts, whereas a 598 can be all off the shelf stuff. I have figured up the prices many times and they come out about the same. However, I can easily make over 1000 hp with a 598 ci and a 3.3 Whipple. A 750 ci NA engine making 1.25 hp/ci only makes about 940 hp. Now, it would be cool. But, I have a hard time getting people to pay for cool. They want something proven and reliable that is not that hard to get parts for if it breaks.
This is just my thoughts on a big inch NA engine. With all that being said, I would still love to do one.
Eddie

but, I have a hard time getting people to pay for cool.:eek:

Great job Eddie:drink::drink::drink:

Young Performance 08-25-2009 11:31 PM

Thanks Bill.

Young Performance 09-04-2009 09:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pics of it all finished up and ready to install without all of the dyno wiring. Enjoy
Thanks, Eddie.