Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   chapter11..give it a rest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/215667-chapter11-give-rest.html)

ThirdBird 08-27-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 2940726)
Well maybe thats part of the problem people and businesses living and operating well above their means. What happened to saving some money and buying something.

If everyone saved to buy a $200-400 thousand dollar boat, there would be no boat industry!! Plus, If I had say $250 grand available in one chunck to buy something, it certainly wouldn't be a boat. I'd finance the boat and leverage the $250k.

Strip Poker 388 08-27-2009 01:32 PM

I'm NOT Talking about a Fountain.Just the way people are talking about it.The situation

Say if YOU had something redone by a business and they didn't do the job right,treated badly ,talked down to,The Rebuilt product came in damaged because of no packaging,doubled the quote and didn't tell ya untill charging your CC,She told you if you don't pay the full amount you want get your product back,accused you of lying about being warranty work,You had the receipts that proved the previous shoddy work done, and picks of damage to the boat,them saying they didnt do the work.They charged you the labor and materials that was warranty, that they said they would pay for including shipping.Charge you labor that they didn't do,That you had already done before shipping it back.There was Nothing you could do about it,Then something bad happens to this person/business, How would you feel?

Would it be petty to you?

tbanzer 08-28-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ThirdBird (Post 2940856)
If everyone saved to buy a $200-400 thousand dollar boat, there would be no boat industry!! Plus, If I had say $250 grand available in one chunck to buy something, it certainly wouldn't be a boat. I'd finance the boat and leverage the $250k.

I bought a two year old boat and paid cash for mine. Paid cash or 0% financing for both my wifes and my new trucks. Waited untill we had enough cash flow and bought a left over new payloader. Paid my house off in 5 years. Maybe Im fed up but I was always told that you dont need to be 30 days away from bankrupcy just so you can have the biggest and the best to impress nobody. My business has been hit very hard by this econmy and I sure as hell would have had to file myself if we had all our equipment and property financed. Ill tell you what sometimes I think I am the stupid one because I pay my bills instead of just sticking someone else for it and filling. And if you dont have 250k im not really interested on your ideas of leveraging or investing it.

organizedchaos 08-28-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 2941529)
I bought a two year old boat and paid cash for mine. Paid cash or 0% financing for both my wifes and my new trucks. Waited untill we had enough cash flow and bought a left over new payloader. Paid my house off in 5 years. Maybe Im fed up but I was always told that you dont need to be 30 days away from bankrupcy just so you can have the biggest and the best to impress nobody. My business has been hit very hard by this econmy and I sure as hell would have had to file myself if we had all our equipment and property financed. Ill tell you what sometimes I think I am the stupid one because I pay my bills instead of just sticking someone else for it and filling. And if you dont have 250k im not really interested on your ideas of leveraging or investing it.

X2.....

carcrash 08-28-2009 02:55 PM

Paid cash or 0% financing for both my wifes...

I generally avoid paying finance charges on women too.

seafordguy 08-28-2009 03:17 PM

The right answer is different for EVERY scenario - exercising fiscal responsibility is the important factor, not how you do so. I have several toys and I keep all of them on an equity line. Doing so with my boat has allowed me to enjoy several summers of boating while in my mid-twenties - youthful years, that you can never get back, and you can never relive - I can't put a price on that but I sure as hell know it is less than the 2.5% my after tax borrowing rate is on my line.

Have I paid some interest, absolutely, have I made a lot of friends through boating, absolutely, do I have tons of memories with my wife, brother, and friends that I otherwise wouldn't have - ABSOLUTELY. So waiting until I was older to buy my boat just so I could pay cash wasn't necessarily the right thing for me to do. Just because people borrow money to enjoy life doesn't mean they are either upside down, moments from bankruptcy, or inclined to EVER miss a payment or stiff the lender - that is a broad generalization you were hinting at.

tbanzer 08-28-2009 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 2941763)
The right answer is different for EVERY scenario - exercising fiscal responsibility is the important factor, not how you do so. I have several toys and I keep all of them on an equity line. Doing so with my boat has allowed me to enjoy several summers of boating while in my mid-twenties - youthful years, that you can never get back, and you can never relive - I can't put a price on that but I sure as hell know it is less than the 2.5% my after tax borrowing rate is on my line.

Have I paid some interest, absolutely, have I made a lot of friends through boating, absolutely, do I have tons of memories with my wife, brother, and friends that I otherwise wouldn't have - ABSOLUTELY. So waiting until I was older to buy my boat just so I could pay cash wasn't necessarily the right thing for me to do. Just because people borrow money to enjoy life doesn't mean they are either upside down, moments from bankruptcy, or inclined to EVER miss a payment or stiff the lender - that is a broad generalization you were hinting at.

Good points as long as it is done with the fiscal responsibility you speak of and not off the backs of others through the bankrupcy court. Sorry to get off topic.

dreamer 08-28-2009 08:25 PM

where is dean? the economy is doing great!!!!!!!!

organizedchaos 08-28-2009 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 2941939)
Good points as long as it is done with the fiscal responsibility you speak of and not off the backs of others through the bankrupcy court. Sorry to get off topic.

I agree with you. Enjoy yourself, just don't feel sorry for someone when the leverging doesn't work out. Reggie is a cool dude, if it is made to happen, he will continue on.

99fever27 08-29-2009 01:37 AM

:party-smiley-004::chick:

Originally Posted by dreamer (Post 2941954)
where is dean? the economy is doing great!!!!!!!!