Notices

Check out this vid.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definetley some Darwin Award recipients there....... The airplane landing shot was probably intentional of the pilot, I believe it is called "drifting", where the aircraft has too much speed to safely land the aircraft and he/she puts the plane into a sideways slide in order to slow it down. I just saw a piece on tv about this the other night and this appeared to be exactly what that pilot had done to land his 747 that had run out of fuel and had too much speed upon approach to land without over shooting the runway.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by joe549
Definetley some Darwin Award recipients there....... The airplane landing shot was probably intentional of the pilot, I believe it is called "drifting", where the aircraft has too much speed to safely land the aircraft and he/she puts the plane into a sideways slide in order to slow it down. I just saw a piece on tv about this the other night and this appeared to be exactly what that pilot had done to land his 747 that had run out of fuel and had too much speed upon approach to land without over shooting the runway.
That's Hong Kong airport and from what I've heard the crosswinds can be tough there. If I'm not mistaken the vid in question is a result of that occurrence.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeesh, that was some nasty stuff for a Sunday morning!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe549
Definitely a crosswind landing. I am not 100% sure this is the same video, because I dont see the same boats in the water. But this is the same airport with a 747 in a pretty good crosswind landing. check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4...eature=related
Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer
Definitely a crosswind landing. I am not 100% sure this is the same video, because I dont see the same boats in the water. But this is the same airport with a 747 in a pretty good crosswind landing. check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4...eature=related
That was kind of weird.. I wonder why he didn't align the aircraft with the centerline in the flare rather than land in a crab... Thank God its a Boeing.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
cloke

That just brought up my dinner, nasty vid