Someone else's boat on my trailer dilemma >

Someone else's boat on my trailer dilemma

Notices

Someone else's boat on my trailer dilemma

Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Someone else's boat on my trailer dilemma

I store my trailer in a boat yard for free and in return they were able to use it as a yard trailer. The boat yard has moved to a new location and now I want to pick up my trailer. Currently my trailer is sitting in front of the old location with a junker boat for sale resting on my trailer. I called the owner of the boat yard and he said he owns the boat and is on vacation and will make arrangements to get the boat off sometime next week. The problem is I don't have any confidence in him and I'm sure he will stall. This guy is a real slick wily. I'm almost sure he would have sold this boat along with my trailer if he had the right opportunity.
I would like some advice on what to do in this situation. I own the trailer free and clear and have the title. The location of this is St Michaels Maryland. I wouldn't want to damage his boat in any way but what are my options if this guy gives me the run around?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it gets real shady and another week passes, have a buddy call for a water test of the boat and grab your trailer back then. It will probably take that before the marina guy bothers to figure anything out - when he has to.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is a launch ramp there just drop the boat in an leave it tied to the dock.

or

Go there with a good hydraulic jack a few ciner blocks and wood jack it up block it (repeat a few times) you get the picture.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gripit
I store my trailer in a boat yard for free and in return they were able to use it as a yard trailer. The boat yard has moved to a new location and now I want to pick up my trailer. Currently my trailer is sitting in front of the old location with a junker boat for sale resting on my trailer. I called the owner of the boat yard and he said he owns the boat and is on vacation and will make arrangements to get the boat off sometime next week. The problem is I don't have any confidence in him and I'm sure he will stall. This guy is a real slick wily. I'm almost sure he would have sold this boat along with my trailer if he had the right opportunity.
I would like some advice on what to do in this situation. I own the trailer free and clear and have the title. The location of this is St Michaels Maryland. I wouldn't want to damage his boat in any way but what are my options if this guy gives me the run around?

Not sure why you would enter in a deal like that of you know the guy is shady?

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Not sure why you would enter in a deal like that of you know the guy is shady?

Good Luck
It is a friend of a friend who's no longer friends because the guy jerked him around. Thats why I want to get it back. Originally I thought the guy was good.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing a rope and a tree can't fix...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered

I suppose if he let you store it for free he is entitled to a little slack, did you know he was keeping other boats on it? Maybe letting you keep it there for "free" was his way of getting FREE use of your trailer?

If it was me I would go over there and just hitch onto the thing (boat and all) and bring it home, splash the crappy boat in the drink and put your boat back on it, then send a registered letter telling him to come get his boat, basically, put the "onus" back on him, pretty hard for him to pull anything shady if you have YOUR boat sitting on YOUR trailer, sitting at YOUR house, and a registered letter to cover your butt.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
I suppose if he let you store it for free he is entitled to a little slack, did you know he was keeping other boats on it? Maybe letting you keep it there for "free" was his way of getting FREE use of your trailer?

If it was me I would go over there and just hitch onto the thing (boat and all) and bring it home, splash the crappy boat in the drink and put your boat back on it, then send a registered letter telling him to come get his boat, basically, put the "onus" back on him, pretty hard for him to pull anything shady if you have YOUR boat sitting on YOUR trailer, sitting at YOUR house, and a registered letter to cover your butt.
I'm going to give him slack. It was our agreement for him to use it in exchange for storage. I just want to motivate him so he doesn't blow it off.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I like the sea-trial and snatch idea!

However, this is the type of guy you don't want to piss off. It will come back to bite you. I'd give him a deadline with sound reasoning for needing the trailer. (I'm going on vacation and I am taking my boat on it's trailer.) If he doesn't move on this finite request, then it's time to take some strong actions to get your property back.

Are there any other boatyards close by with a forklift or a travel-lift that can remove it and place it on blocks?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GLH
Nothing a rope and a tree can't fix...
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.