Who's running a #6 in a single engine application >

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Notices

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter
I may be wrong but arent the clutch shafts the same in the "bravo" type drives???

My drives do not have a fixed x dimention.

15 inches is the WMD

10.5 is the WSD

4.5 is the WDP

We never line up the crankshaft to the input of the drive so it really doesn't matter what they are. When I went to put a WMD and a WSD on a small boat I had the prop where I wanted it and the gimbal was above the transom. So finally I designed a very short X dimention drive, The WDP.

When we replace a #6 we use a 5.5 inch offset box to get to the 18 15/16 x dim.

When I see a 19 t spline propshaft I do not think of a drive you can hammer.

pat W
The scx has its own shafts and they are twice as big a s a bravo drive. There are a few single engine cats running 1200 hp thru these drives with 0 failures to date.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnlomant
The scx has its own shafts and they are twice as big a s a bravo drive. There are a few single engine cats running 1200 hp thru these drives with 0 failures to date.
Correct.. The SCX clutch shaft is considerably bigger than a bravo xr.

John is also correct on the stats for the single engine cats.

Chris
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered

Talked to IMCO today, the only failers that they have had are shifting @ higher @ RPM, above 800 other than that they told me knock on wood no problems, I can use my MMW lower on the drive I will just have to go with a lager upper shaft and it will all mate up to the upper, this is really looking like the rout that I am going to take. Don't get me wrong, I love the MMW drive and it has really heldup better than I exspected but I am just looking for more reliablity out of a drive, so if anyone is interested I will be putting the drive up for sale on the Classifieds, FYI every thing in the upper is brand new, all new gears, clutch shaft and all bearings, and races, they also upgraded the billet top cap with larger studs and nuts to ad even more rigidity and reliablity...a new drive is 17,000 pluss dollars top and bottom I am working up a price but the drive will be back Friday I will take pics and post on the classifieds
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Smart move in my opinion.

You can re-coup some of the cost of the SCX upper by the sale of your MMW upper.

Are you saying that the MMW lower will mate up to the SCX upper by using IMCO's conversion shaft?

If so... that is great news!

Chris
Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Smart move in my opinion.

You can re-coup some of the cost of the SCX upper by the sale of your MMW upper.

Are you saying that the MMW lower will mate up to the SCX upper by using IMCO's conversion shaft?

If so... that is great news!

Chris
Yep, The boat loves the MMW lower, I ran an bmax with the short lower and it spun out @ 60...running the MMW lower, lets just say @ 80 in a u-turn I chickend out I figured 80 was fast enough for testing, plus I don't think I could have held on pulling any more g's

Not really worried about the cost, just looking for longevity, and peice of mind
Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Yep, The boat loves the MMW lower, I ran an bmax with the short lower and it spun out @ 60...running the MMW lower, lets just say @ 80 in a u-turn I chickend out I figured 80 was fast enough for testing, plus I don't think I could have held on pulling any more g's

Not really worried about the cost, just looking for longevity, and peice of mind
I would still get away from the bravo style lower,I run 1050 hp 1000 plus ft lbs of tq and I never get 75 hours out of lower bravo gears even with the best preperation, cryo finish etc.
Something else reading your post,this may even be a non-issue since you are going to a different drive but for the guys stuck running bravo drives 75 hours is waay to long to go between tear downs and inspections on a bravo drive behind big power. I change the oil in mine every 10 hours and tear it down and inspect everything at least every 30-40 hours or less if I start finding metal in my oil. In 9 years of running various blower motors from 650 hp,then 750 hp then 950 hp and now 1050 hp I have never blew the teeth off a upper gear or destroyed a case. I have found bearings just starting to fail,clutch shafts that were fractured,lower gears that were on the verge of total failure etc. Many of these problems I found would have led to total destruction of the upper or lower IF I hadn't caught them,fyi,Smitty
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by articfriends
I would still get away from the bravo style lower,I run 1050 hp 1000 plus ft lbs of tq and I never get 75 hours out of lower bravo gears even with the best preperation, cryo finish etc.
Something else reading your post,this may even be a non-issue since you are going to a different drive but for the guys stuck running bravo drives 75 hours is waay to long to go between tear downs and inspections on a bravo drive behind big power. I change the oil in mine every 10 hours and tear it down and inspect everything at least every 30-40 hours or less if I start finding metal in my oil. In 9 years of running various blower motors from 650 hp,then 750 hp then 950 hp and now 1050 hp I have never blew the teeth off a upper gear or destroyed a case. I have found bearings just starting to fail,clutch shafts that were fractured,lower gears that were on the verge of total failure etc. Many of these problems I found would have led to total destruction of the upper or lower IF I hadn't caught them,fyi,Smitty
...Or you could switch to a Weismann drive and get rid of all that aggravation...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
I don't go 75pluss hours on teardowns, the clutch shaft won't last but 40hrs so far the drive blew all the gears @15hrs, put drive back on @ 24hrs, clutch shaft broke @ 66hrs shaft changed all gears magnafluxed all was good, clutch shaft broke again @ 101hrs gears check, they were fixing to let go all is new now, so I am going to get the drive back tomorrow and put it up for sale, someone will be getting a good deal since it is a new drive except for the case..
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
...Or you could switch to a Weismann drive and get rid of all that aggravation...
Got 35,000 that you want to loan mereally wish I would have went this way during the build...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Got 35,000 that you want to loan mereally wish I would have went this way during the build...
I didn't know it would cost that much. I see now why all of a sudden you quit talking about them, and why you're staying with the Bravo style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.