Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/215991-whos-running-6-single-engine-application.html)

shifter 09-11-2009 12:45 AM

Just look at it as an investment. a good one.

pat W

26 REDLINE 09-11-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2950367)
I didn't know it would cost that much. :eek: :( I see now why all of a sudden you quit talking about them, and why you're staying with the Bravo style.

I havent stop talkig about them, I really would love to have the weisman, Hey Pat does Weisman have 6 mo no interest:lolhit: but seriously I haven't ruled anything out, if I do a SCX it will only be until I can get the funds for the Weisman, like I said on other post, Pat is the final desision, just want him and Steve to work out all of the details on instalation and an exact price for all of the goodies:drink: be working on me a brother-in-law price Pat.

Again thanks for all the help Pat, as soon as we can work all of the details out, should be a hell of a combination, BTW how much speed increases should I look for if any with the Weisman...:drink:

Catmando 09-11-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE (Post 2950524)
I havent stop talkig about them, I really would love to have the weisman, Hey Pat does Weisman have 6 mo no interest:lolhit: but seriously I haven't ruled anything out, if I do a SCX it will only be until I can get the funds for the Weisman, like I said on other post, Pat is the final desision, just want him and Steve to work out all of the details on instalation and an exact price for all of the goodies:drink: be working on me a brother-in-law price Pat.

Again thanks for all the help Pat, as soon as we can work all of the details out, should be a hell of a combination, BTW how much speed increases should I look for if any with the Weisman...:drink:

Ah so, straight from the Coon-ass's mouth. :cool-smiley-027:

I think you'd see at least 5mph, maybe 10, but Pat could tell you better than I.

26 REDLINE 09-12-2009 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 2950789)
Ah so, straight from the Coon-ass's mouth. :cool-smiley-027:

I think you'd see at least 5mph, maybe 10, but Pat could tell you better than I.

:ernaehrung004:

shifter 09-12-2009 04:00 PM

132mph w bravo.....

What Rpm?
What prop(dia, # of blades pitch)?
What ratio?
What is the redline on new engine vs old?
What trim position(pos,neg or even)
Were you out of engine or Euevos?

pat W

26 REDLINE 09-12-2009 07:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by shifter (Post 2951200)
132mph w bravo.....

What Rpm?
What prop(dia, # of blades pitch)?
What ratio?
What is the redline on new engine vs old?
What trim position(pos,neg or even)
Were you out of engine or Euevos?

pat W

Well Pat I have plenty more Euevos, I was out of prop...

RPM 6400
Prop custom 36 labbed done @ lake X for RPM
ratio 1:36
engine redline is 6500
no clew I run by feel and by ear
and again I believe it had just couple of MPH left water was flat and my nuts were just starting to change color:drink:

here are a couple of photos, 1 of Garminn and Livorsi showing 129, and another run when garmin battery died...

Rik 09-12-2009 07:50 PM

129 @ 6400 with a 36?

20% slippage.. Yuck.

CB-BLR 09-12-2009 08:51 PM

Even calculating it as a 35 pitch (which is what you usually do with merc props) it equates to about 18% slip.

Not to be disrespectful in any way..But..

what is the big deal with that... I think that slip is over emphasized. Many boats run the fastest at between 15% - 20% slip.

Gary Taylor ran about 20% slip while setting the world speed record for a single engine v-hull.

The "cat-killer" runs about 15% slip.

I have done literally hundreds of hours of testing on my boat, using different drives, spacers, and props. I have had my slip as low as 7.2% and as high as 22% on the top end, and my boat is the fastest and handles the best with slip between 14% and 16%. I had a naval hydrodynamics engineer tell me that I should stop being so focused on slip, and be more concerned with performance and speed. When I started doing that.. my boat started getting faster.

130 mph is darn fast for a single engine.. 26 ft cat.

Just my humble opinion,

Chris

26 REDLINE 09-12-2009 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 2951292)
129 @ 6400 with a 36?

20% slippage.. Yuck.

Thats 129, and 132, and the best part about it is the a$$ end of the boat didn't want to swap ends at that speed:angry-smiley-038:like a single surface drive does, and 132 feels the same as 90...you can sit back and relax, it gets boring... trust me slip doesn't bother me @ all and it was a labbed prop...the boat comes out to around 16-18% slip, and it loves it...by the way do your math with any other cat 26' long that ways 5,000lbs with the same setup and it would be much slower:kiss:

26 REDLINE 09-12-2009 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 2951326)
Even calculating it as a 35 pitch (which is what you usually do with merc props) it equates to about 18% slip.

Not to be disrespectful in any way..But..

what is the big deal with that... I think that slip is over emphasized. Many boats run the fastest at between 15% - 20% slip.

Gary Taylor ran about 20% slip while setting the world speed record for a single engine v-hull.

The "cat-killer" runs about 15% slip.

I have done literally hundreds of hours of testing on my boat, using different drives, spacers, and props. I have had my slip as low as 7.2% and as high as 22% on the top end, and my boat is the fastest and handles the best with slip between 14% and 16%. I had a naval hydrodynamics engineer tell me that I should stop being so focused on slip, and be more concerned with performance and speed. When I started doing that.. my boat started getting faster.

130 mph is darn fast for a single engine.. 26 ft cat.

Just my humble opinion,

Chris

Well said Chris:kiss:you hit the nail on the head, I had Hering tell me that they could get my slip down to around 8%...boat hated it did everything to get it to 120mph, swaped it out for a non labbed 34" Bravo and with 2 people and full of fuel boat runs 126. I quit using the labbed props due to the fact that I could only get a few hrs on them before they would start to come apart...ask Steve with RPM and read the Powerboat on the Redline where Bob Tegue states that the prop lost a blade tip and another started coming apart and the boat still ran 105 with 675hp, thats the 36" that I ran the numbers with:eek:(sorry Steve:drink:)