Who's running a #6 in a single engine application >

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Notices

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When Tim (of OCM), and I were planning on doing the Stage II upgrade to his Thor (830 hp), we discussed with Mercury Racing about the weak link on the NXT drive, and they said that the Transmition was only rated at about 800 hp. Because of this, when the guy bought the Thor from Tim, with the intention of putting his twin turbo motor in it, we discussed the probable need to upgrade the tranny to a beefier unit. The drive itself will take much more than that according to Merc Racing.. I don't remember the specific number. So far, the stock tranny has lived at between 1100-1200 horsepower, with the new owner not yet turning up the boost because this is his first cat, and he is learning how to drive it.

Tim's Thor has hit a best of 124 to date with a Whipple Stage II upgrade, and a Hering prop. Being that his boat is full carbon fibre, it accelerates extremely hard. I have never been in a boat that accelerates sooo hard! I think that John Lamont's boat probably handles better because of the slightly different hull, and the greater weight.. I have ridden in both.

The guy with the twin turbo Thor (cant remember his name), has a standard layup hull and therefore is pushing a lot more weight than your RPM cat is. I think that the NXT with a good Bam tranny would be a hot ticket.

Those big props are sure spendy though... $4500 or so

I heard that the 662 RPM boat did about 114-116 with a Stage I kit on it. A stage I should be about 760 hp on that package... pretty darn fast per horsepower.

Hope this helps,

Chris

p.s. I still think that the SCX upper, with a SC lower, is the best bang for the buck

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-07-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
When Tim (of OCM), and I were planning on doing the Stage II upgrade to his Thor (830 hp), we discussed with Mercury Racing about the weak link on the NXT drive, and they said that the Transmition was only rated at about 800 hp. Because of this, when the guy bought the Thor from Tim, with the intention of putting his twin turbo motor in it, we discussed the probable need to upgrade the tranny to a beefier unit. The drive itself will take much more than that according to Merc Racing.. I don't remember the specific number. So far, the stock tranny has lived at between 1100-1200 horsepower, with the new owner not yet turning up the boost because this is his first cat, and he is learning how to drive it.

Tim's Thor has hit a best of 124 to date with a Whipple Stage II upgrade, and a Hering prop. Being that his boat is full carbon fibre, it accelerates extremely hard. I have never been in a boat that accelerates sooo hard! I think that John Lamont's boat probably handles better because of the slightly different hull, and the greater weight.. I have ridden in both.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Thanks fo the info, you really need to take a ride in my RPM if you want your a$$ pined in the seat while going around a tight curve, you are not going to find a better boat...I have a buddy that has a Thor down here and he has driven my boat and is pissed, if the market wasn't like it is he would sell his and buy one tomorrow, plus my boat was alot less in price than his stock 525 boat...but yes the NXT is something I should look into..
Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Chris
Gold Member

I added some more info in my above post.

I went and drove Steve's boat... absolutely loved it!!

If I could sell my boat right now.. I would have Steve build me one in a heartbeat.

Because of the economy...
I will just have to settle for my 95mph, open bow, wake boarding boat..

For now...

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-07-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Well broke the clutch shaft again 44 hrs, and the upper gears were just about shot 78hrs, I am going to have to do something I don't know how much easier I can be to the drive, I am babying it now...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered

Baby it down to Cumberland this weekend with us.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnlomant
Baby it down to Cumberland this weekend with us.
Yea I hear you are going to be the star @ the runjust get the fuk out the way when the big boys take off are you will be fish food, those boys cruise @ what we run WOT so be careful.

And the drive issue will get resolve over the winter just got the price on my drive 4600.00 bucks fuk that with the shipping to them thats 5,000 for an upper gear set and clutch shaft, chit just send me a new drive WTF, anyhow keep me posted on your SCX because I am leaning toward that over anything else, due to the cost and setup issues I am not going to spend 10,000grand a year on drive rebuilds hell I buy a stock Bravo and use the warranty every time it breaks, then sell it and buy a new one...it would becheaper

Well you and Steve have a good time this weekend and be careful, I would be there but I have Mark and his wife coming down from Al. and alot of other friends coming down for our end of summer Lake Bash always a good time...
Old 09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

sounds like fun
Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
Yea I hear you are going to be the star @ the runjust get the fuk out the way when the big boys take off are you will be fish food, those boys cruise @ what we run WOT so be careful.

And the drive issue will get resolve over the winter just got the price on my drive 4600.00 bucks fuk that with the shipping to them thats 5,000 for an upper gear set and clutch shaft, chit just send me a new drive WTF, anyhow keep me posted on your SCX because I am leaning toward that over anything else, due to the cost and setup issues I am not going to spend 10,000grand a year on drive rebuilds hell I buy a stock Bravo and use the warranty every time it breaks, then sell it and buy a new one...it would becheaper

Well you and Steve have a good time this weekend and be careful, I would be there but I have Mark and his wife coming down from Al. and alot of other friends coming down for our end of summer Lake Bash always a good time...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o28713-en.html

There's a link for you

Jon
Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Chris
Gold Member

The wet-sump #6's eat more horsepower than the dry-sump #6's, and even they are too heavy and power eating.

Just my humble opinion,

Chris

p.s. Im sticking with my SCX suggestion
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be wrong but arent the clutch shafts the same in the "bravo" type drives???

My drives do not have a fixed x dimention.

15 inches is the WMD

10.5 is the WSD

4.5 is the WDP

We never line up the crankshaft to the input of the drive so it really doesn't matter what they are. When I went to put a WMD and a WSD on a small boat I had the prop where I wanted it and the gimbal was above the transom. So finally I designed a very short X dimention drive, The WDP.

When we replace a #6 we use a 5.5 inch offset box to get to the 18 15/16 x dim.

When I see a 19 t spline propshaft I do not think of a drive you can hammer.

pat W

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.