Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Going fast is good, I think (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/216152-going-fast-good-i-think.html)

GLH 09-03-2009 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2945705)
This isn't directed at you, but to the "wise" mechanic:

Who cares?

Using that logic, does that mean people shouldn't buy a sportscar or a motorcycle, since they will never be a good/fast as Jeff Gordon, or Travis Pastrana? Someone shouldn't play golf either, since travelling to nice courses, equipment, & green fee's are expensive, and you'll never beat Tiger Woods? Why cook your own food, since you'll never be Emeril Lagasse, etc, etc.

Just because you're not likely to go as fast as some other guys, doesn't mean you can't still have fun doing it. My boat is fast, but it's not the fastest, and I don't care. You can also have a VERY fast boat that runs every weekend these days. 1000hp on a Bravo drive is NOT the "fundamental" way to do it however.

If everyone used that logic, life would be incredibly boring.

Who the fack is Emeril Lagasse???

Did you go gay on us again Brandon???

BLee 09-03-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2945722)
Who the fack is Emeril Lagasse???

Did you go gay on us again Brandon???

I think you may need to install some carbon monoxide sensors in your home G. :lolhit:

Panther 09-03-2009 10:58 AM

Bottom line in my opinion is everyone will justify what they like and prefer....

It's like asking or me defending why I have an over powered Apache when I can go out and get a skater with the same power and go twice as fast... Or asking why people run boats designed to run offshore in lakes. Or like saying blondes are better than brunettes and vice versa...

It's really a silly debate in my opionion. It's your money so spend it how you want! Have fun and be safe, no matter what you prefer!

Wildman_grafix 09-03-2009 11:11 AM

Read this in a motorcycle magazine once,
Unknown Racer Quote:

I don't believe in a risk free Society,
where the trills of living are traded
for the safety of existence.

Just got done watching the mile flat track and Moto GP last weekend,,,, man I think alot of those guys live this way.

Uncle Dave 09-03-2009 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Going fast is fine as long as you are committed with your money. Most of my fellow boating friends are committed to the fast thing, not the money thing. It is not wise to think you can have speed and with no cash commitment. Speed costs money."

Very few guys walk the walk on this.

All these guys blowing themselves about how competitive they are really make me laugh.

Just got back from a 300 mile trip on the water & I had a guy in a 40 ft fountain following me yesterday from Redondo Bch to the entrance at Del Rey because he couldn't see where he was going.
He was waiting at the front of the fog bank until someone came by with radar that was "going home".

Get your wife something nice for putting up with you!
Does she have a sister?

UD

Quent 09-03-2009 04:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
tssteph, here are a couple of pictures of my Lavey. By the way it was enlightening to read how different folks perceive their boating experience. That is what makes it entertaining. Best regards, Quent

Sweet Nmocean 09-03-2009 05:05 PM

I agree with you Quent. When I was growing up around boats my dad had an Imperial boat with twin 100hp mercs on it. Now that is when 100hp outboard was the king. It was the fastest boat on the Ohio River back in the day. He kind of told me the same story you just wrote. I have been boating in a month it will be 44 years, and always wanted a "fast" boat but when I built the couple that I have had yes they were fast but not the fastest and I can go and turn the key, they run they idle and I know I enjoy boating a heck of a lot more. It is much easier and cheaper to use a towel on them instead of a wrench. Nobody in their right mind digs sitting in a bilge or standing on your head when it hotter than he!! trying to get something to work right.

thedonz 09-03-2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2945705)
This isn't directed at you, but to the "wise" mechanic:

Who cares?

Using that logic, does that mean people shouldn't buy a sportscar or a motorcycle, since they will never be a good/fast as Jeff Gordon, or Travis Pastrana? Someone shouldn't play golf either, since travelling to nice courses, equipment, & green fee's are expensive, and you'll never beat Tiger Woods? Why cook your own food, since you'll never be Emeril Lagasse, etc, etc.

Just because you're not likely to go as fast as some other guys, doesn't mean you can't still have fun doing it. My boat is fast, but it's not the fastest, and I don't care. You can also have a VERY fast boat that runs every weekend these days. 1000hp on a Bravo drive is NOT the "fundamental" way to do it however.

If everyone used that logic, life would be incredibly boring.

I'm with flight club...... Brandon get down to 954....miss you brothera :coolcowboy:

Jr