Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: opinions on the Ducati 748 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21655-ot-opinions-ducati-748-a.html)

NASTY HABIT 04-06-2002 11:33 AM

OH LORD........ an MV ...they are sweet looking...am pretty sure i blew by one last time i was in the Carolina moutains....migh tnot have been though... hard to tell in my rearview....

Advantage_Rob 04-06-2002 11:49 AM

Who wouldn't you blow away on that thing? Uncle ben's on steroids, and I meant that as a compliment, that's a bad ass ride, and must be the ultimate rush.

NASTY HABIT 04-06-2002 12:09 PM

Thanks.... it is quite the rush .... 150mph roll on wheelies..it is tuned down most of the time... 7 pounds of boost = 185 hp.
although it has made over 300hp on the dyno without a shot of juice..
Iv'e had it for sale before . most are scared of it... it isn't really that exotic ... Kawi KZ900 engine w/ a ray-jay turbo .. the chassis was a rolling Moto Martin from Europe they still make them but mostly for the race circuit ... it is a mutt from there some GSXR parts some Bimota parts, Kosman, ect... all off the shelf stuff...anyhow.....

I just want to take my need for speed to the water now...
cannot wait to build a boat with a similar flare.....lol... all i need is some coin .. got any..?

Advantage_Rob 04-06-2002 12:23 PM

Sounds like fun to me, I miss the bike day's, but I will probably return to them on a custom cruiser like a bourget one day in the future. I always look at them, but the one's I like are way too much cash for a bike, and then there's the whole priorities thing, which never has made the top of my list!
Here's a few in the 30-45K price range, lets see if they fall to 20K in a few years. How you like these puder? A Blower and nitrous on a bad ass custom! I know, I know, this is my style, not your's, have your fun first on a crotch rocket like I did. If you want to talk about maintenance these type of bikes are the worst of all, but I still want one.
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/6/5/1048065.htm

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/7/1561417.htm

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/5/5/2018355.htm

kook 04-06-2002 12:24 PM

All current 600cc jap bikes will just dominate the 748, particularly on the street - the only time the 748 would even been in the same league would be on the track, and a short track. You're talking 100hp out of a stock 600cc - they'll walk the sh*t out of the 748 down the straights.

On track days, we'd run all sorts of bikes the same time. At the time, I was running an R6 - any 748's I would eat up, big time. I didn't seem to have any trouble haning with the 916's down the straights either, FWIW.

If you're a squid who's into street profiling, maybe the 748 has some sex appeal, but it sure ain't got any balls. Plus all the maintenance. Jap bike: run it like a red-headed step child and put it away wet. Change oil, lube and adjust chain, go ride. :D

NASTY HABIT 04-06-2002 12:46 PM

That Fat Daddy is nice...i'd ride it...might blow it up.....but 6k for the charger.... i think the guy gets less than 2k for those set-ups.. was a while back though.. I'd build my own if was to have something like that... Hell i build my own anyhow... minus that Martin...

Puder have you looked at any of the Streetfighter sites.? cna give you a good idea on tricking out something more reliable...than an Aprilla or Duc.. and if you get into the European sites. always good for a laugh....they do some really strange stuff to thier bikes over there...but hey to each his own....kinda like here.... it's all fun.... I don't care what somebody rides in or on..

puder 04-06-2002 11:27 PM

i liek tha jap biek dont; get me wrong as for teh squid comment yeah :D you nailed me.

But actually i am looking for something fun to ride. Not a fashion accessorie.

I was origonally thinking ducati just because i ahev heard good thigns abotu them and most of teh dealers in my area are kind of *******s except for the ducati dealer and ethy have some pretty good "deals" (for a ducati they are deals) going now. ANd i happen to like the bikes. I liked the aprilia because it was comfortable and cheaper than the ducati.

As for the agusta it is just frikkin sweet. No two ways about it. It is looking like i will end up with an r6 most likely. I was considering a cbr600 becasue the local honda dealer has good deals on new one (comprable to a used r6) but i just like the balance and fit of the r6 better.

If i ever heard to biek week i will be ridding it from NY no trailering wil occur unles si am bringin my boat.

I might be a squid but at least i'm no rub...

Bosco 04-06-2002 11:38 PM

Puder,

Hold on here, from what your saying you want "dont buy a sport bike". I own one, I commute on it, and have ridden 23000 miles in a year and a half. I also have burned up 5 rear tires and 2.5 fronts. Changed 3 sets of plugs, and had 2 valve adjustments. I am on my 3rd chain and grease them every 500 miles, But first you have to clean and adjust them.

Hi-performance means maintanance, and replacememnt parts. Dont kid yourself, if your not mechanical (I do all my own Maintanance) those types of bikes will cost a fortune to own. My 929 Honda is a blast, and I wont give her up, But I cant stay on for more than an hour.

Not to mention if your not an experienced rider, a sport bike will kill you quick. Buy yourself something more comfortable if you intend to cruise around, However if your into adrenaline you cant beat a crotch rocket of any kind.:cool:

puder 04-07-2002 12:50 AM

been ridign on dirt sionce i was about 8. I have been riding road bikes for about a year now. Just don't own one yet. A buddy of mine has a r6 and a harley If i pay for gas he will usually let me ride the r6. As for mechnicals. My 454 is currntly apart in my garage in eth process of me rebiudlign it. SO i thik i can handle the mechanicals of bike maintenance. I rebiult a 96 CBR 900 a few weeks ago too :D

Were does it say i don't want a sport bike. Harley are just not my thing. Not into the way they ride look or sound.

As for killing myself. That is of major concern. A. housewives in suburbans who put on makeup, talk on cell phones drink there double grade machioto double whip fraps while driving are SUPER common around where i live. B. i know how i have driven my dirt bikes and quads.

I think it will biol down to mainly will i twist the throttle. I woudl say yes but within reason. Last summer i realized i am getting older when i started chickening out on my dirtbike 5 years ago i woudlhave no prblem takign my blaster(quad) off 10' jump at 50 now i'm not so keen on hitting a 4 footer on my kx125....
it took a little while but i finally loosing that feelign on invinceability.

as long as i drive like a human i shoudl be ok. Or at last that is what i keep telling myself. As for teh housewives well they havn;t hit me in my car yet so i am keepign the faith at least the bike will stop quicker......