Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BAD experience with Florida boat broker >

BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Notices

BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Old 04-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the original owner was the crafty one here. He placed the boat in a brokerage where the boat was sold as is. The broker more than likely knew what was up because the boat came from a marine dealer. Unless specific motor specs were in writing (10hrs, fresh rebuild etc.) it is pretty hard to come back on anybody and even if it is written you still need to prove it.

Sounds like Obnoxious Thunder got a great deal anyway, under 100k for boat, trailer and new 675's must have beat them to death on the price
Old 04-05-2002, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Broker plays the part of the middleman. How he or she plays that part is up to the individual or Brokerage Company. Brokers can Play one of two ways. The Stereotypical "Used Car Salesman" of the industry or the "Fiduciary". A "Used Cr Salesman" broker can stretch the truth or flat out Lie to put a deal together. In this case the last thing they will want is a survey. Mechanical and Hull survey's are a Godsent when It comes to buying a boat. If you want to spend themoney (And you should factor that into your boat buying budget) and your Broker says "No" then you have a problem. Ask yourself "Why is does the middleman not want me to have as many facts as possible." If your Broker says "Get both survey's done and your deposite will be held in Escrow and can be refunded up to the final sighning of the sale" Stick with them. It is common sence. Brokers are still an asset when it comes to locating and finalizing a boat. Paperwork can become a nightmare and it niceto have it done right the first time. Conrtacts, Stipulations and other add ins can be handled better by a broker as well.
In the situation posted in this thread the buyer may or maynot have had a Survey done. Water in a cylander should come up on a compression test or oil check. and a Surveyor my have seen onehead a little newer than the other. It sounds like after the fact the problems seemed obvious. It is unfortunate. The Broker in this case seems guilty of poor customer care. Or, mabe he has not gotten ahold of the former owner. Either way the sale of the boat is water under the bridge and the preventative steps that could have been taken where not. As far as posting and hinting on the board, lets hear it "Offshore Only" "The Board" Use it as a tool and keep everyone honest. Nothing needs to go tothe point of Slander but this is a small non government mandated industry and lets face it, People get taken advantage of every day. Many inthe industry are right here on this board. If you are taken advantage of say it...Honestly and they will rebute (Or take you to court if the dont stand behind tere product) Or they may come back and say you are a cheap, whinny customer who can tdrive his own boat. That is what a forum is all about. Use this to protect each other from the snakes of the industry and more importantly point your friends in the direction of these who have EARNED a quality reputation. I expect that if I do aclient wrong to readabout it on this board. That is what keeps me in check!!! Ill get off my soapbox now!
Old 04-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

I agree with Obnoxious, nothing pissses me off more than not returning phone calls....... Almost like an admission that you DID do something wrong........
Old 04-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

If you are telling the truth than I think you did the right thing. Personally I think that when someone is selling a mechanical object for another party and stands to profit from the sale then they have some responsibility to stand behind the item they are selling as to its health. If you brought the problem to their attension and you paid 1/2 of the bill to check it out then that putts them even more responsible for its health. In a sense you bought an insurance policy by having them check it out. In my opinion they owe you for the repairs. And anyone that doesn't think that way doesn't belong in business.

And as far as you guys saying he doesn't have a contract saying that the engines have so many hours and in good shape---YOU ARE WRONG HE DOES-- REMEMBER THE CHECK UP HE PAID 1/2 OF.

Last edited by Tinkerer; 04-05-2002 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

Thats a very good point Tinker......
Old 04-05-2002, 04:58 PM

To take one element out of the equation, the boat was advertised as having fresh power to be specific 10 hrs. this was stated on advertisement.

as said in an earlier post, this is water under the bridge as far as I`m concerned but maybe someone who reads this post with all the impute everyone posted will be the wiser on their present or future purchase.

Obnoxious
Old 04-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures are worth a 1000 words and your boat picture clearly indicates the unknowns I had.

anyhow, good luck with the new motors.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinkerboater,
If I am a Real Estate agent and I sell you a house where the lights dont work because al of the bulbs in the house are burnedout and I showed you the house in the day. Do I need to buy you all new lightbulbs and install them? Does the previous owner? Or mabe a contractor that told you the house was in good condition? I am not trying to start a debate (which I most likely just did) I am just tryin to put things in perspective. If I understand things right a Broker did not own the boat. He did not drive the boat. He Brokered the deal. The Boat was Sea Trialed and the buyer should have had an "Independant Survey" Hull and Mechanical. The motors ran 300 RPM apart and no Stipulation was added. At that point the Buyer or Broker should have had an "Independant" Mechanic look at the boat. They did not. If everything we have heard about the transaction isaccurate he Broker involved is Guilty only of Assisting a costomer in buying a boat with questionable performance at the time of purchase. With no stipulations addedinto the Purchase agreement at that point the buyer agreed to take the boat "AS IS". Had the Broker added stipulations this would be a different thrad altogether. At that point if the seller does not fix the problem any Broker worth his or her salt goes to battle. have had this happen before and it is time consuming and cost consuming (I paid out of my commisions for the time it takes to follow stipulations) But it gives you a good name and return clients. That is another reason a Broker is involved. Mechanical responsibuilities, Pay Half of the cost to fix a problem? Not after the sales agreement is sighned. Not without stipulations. That is why Brokers bring in Third Party Surveyors and Mechanics. The Broker according to this story NEVER said the boat has no problems. Its a used boat.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

IDRP you are wrong -- HE had a contract certifying that the engines were all OK. He paid for the check up. And the light bulb thing was a poor analogy. He drove the boat and brought the problem to their attension and then they checked it out and did not find anything wrong.... At that point they assumed a large part of the responsibility. What if he had bought the boat sight unseen as some people do and had a surveyer ( Mechanic) check over the engines and found nothing wrong. Would he not have a recourse against the surveyer? YOU'RE FORGETTING HE PAID FOR A SERVEY OF THAT ENGINE..... and said mechanic found nothing wrong...AND YES IF ALL THE LIGHT BULBS WERE BAD I WOULD EXPECT THE SELLER TO REPLACE THEM. THERE IS SUCH A THING AS A DISCLOSURE LAW IN REALESTATE. IF YOU KNOW OF A PROBLEM WITH A PIECE OF REALESTATE AND YOU DON'T DISCLOSE IT TO THE BUYER THAN HE HAS THE LAW ON HIS SIDE.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If I Am buying a house and the lights dont work,You agree to have YOURE electrician check it out if I pay half......He says just bulbs.....Turns out wiring is shot.......You wouldnt feel at all responsible ? {This is closer to what he says happened}

Quick Reply: BAD experience with Florida boat broker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.