Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BAD experience with Florida boat broker (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21663-bad-experience-florida-boat-broker.html)

Tinkerer 04-05-2002 08:50 PM

I don't care what you say - when he hired them to check out the engine they assumed responsibility to find the problem and if they didn't find the problem by doing something as STUPID in your words as checking the dip stick or the oil filler cap for an engine problem that caused a 300 rpm drop than they don't belong in the boat repair business. And with your attitude toward this thread I would NEVER do business with you. A good mechanic would be able to easily find the problem. And a good business man doesn't allways put $ in front of customer service and honesty. When I buy a used boat I don't have a surveyer check it out because I do it myself and if I miss something it is my own fault ( it hasn't happened yet) but when you hire someone to CHECK OUT an engine I expect them to do a proper job and if they miss something I expect them to make it right. They owe him the value of a GOOD USED ENGINE.

Goodfella 04-05-2002 09:10 PM

Hey Obnox Thunder,
If I had first hand knowledge of this transaction I would tell my side of the story but I don't, I don't sell boats I sell marine parts:D I hope this transaction has no bearing on how I treat my customers in my department.

ObnoxiousThundr 04-05-2002 10:19 PM

Friend,

This has absolutely no bearing on your parts dept. . I thought you might be the other side of the story(sorry).

Obnoxious

ObnoxiousThundr 04-05-2002 10:29 PM

Too old,

Thanks for the comp.

Obnoxious

IDRPSTF 04-05-2002 11:32 PM

To Mr. Tinkerboater,
Know I am defending my own buisness which is 3000miles away from this transaction and I do not know and have not done buisness with these individuals before. But I posted an opinion as did you ad you are attacking my buisness practices. So here we go, and befoe a responce for the sake of accuracy this time around sir I advise you to reread the previous post to seewho said what especially If I put it in quotes. "Do smething as STUPID as you put it in your words" No, Those are the mechanics words "It must be some Stupid littl thing". As I was making referance to the questionable review the mechanics did on the engine involved. "A good mechanic would be able to find the problem easily" As you say, This we agree on. But the mechaics did not and expressed that there was a problem and the boat was bought anyway. I am very happy for your good luck in buing boats without a survey. It is a confident and noble approach to taking responsibuility for the boat you are buying. I hope that you dont ever have this situation arise and you do well not only with your boating but your future boat purchases. Furthmore I hope you take your knowladge of boats and help others on this board and new to our mutual interest in boating not get scammed. As for myself and my company I am sorry to hear we will not be doing buisness. For the others on this board who have read this thread, I hope my attitude has been interpreted in another way. This is the real world. Peaple take advantage of one another for a buck and you cant do every transaction right the first time. The owner of this boat has stated that he knew it had problems and wanted to get some time out of it before the engines went. That he did...Two weeks. Done. As for my buisness I try my best to protect my clients from this. Contracts, Surveys, Stipulations and argumets. Tats the real world of cover yourass boating. I have seen some unbelievably bad buisness practices and have pulled my clients through frm knowing what to expect ahead of time. I will walk away before a deal is finished if my client is getting taken advantage of. I make a great living but my pride is notin the money, ts in the reputation. And my reputation at this point is Flawless with my clients. Stepping off mysoapbox for dinner

IDRPSTF 04-05-2002 11:33 PM

Now not now..Thank is isnt a spelling B

jb 04-06-2002 12:20 AM

You will absolutely love Blakeleys Bullett engines. Rob builds some great power and backs it up. Some friends of mine have Bullett engines and he actually cares about his name that he puts on them...imagine that. 1 year waranty on the 575's and all summer they just kept sounding better and better and got stronger and stronger.
He's a great guy, with a great future. and a great product

SteveDavid 04-06-2002 01:32 AM

Birddog,

I read your post and am sorry you've had bad luck with Florida boating folks. If I can ever help you in South Florida, please don't hesitate to call me. I'm NOT in the marine business per se, just a customer of the industry for a long time.

As a customer, I've met a bunch of knowledgeable, fair and skilled people here and am happy to refer them. Among them are Tom at Chief Engines, Steve Schmidt at Competitive Edge, Doug Janisch and Tony San Marco at SM Marine, the folks at Doller Marine, Mark Adams at Marine Management, Mike and Johnny at TNT to name but a few.

Having boated here all my life, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The guys I've mentioned above have been first rate from the get go.

As to Goodfella, if he's the fellow I think he is, (Doller Marine parts) they have treated me professionally and I've bought stuff from them at least once a month for a long, long time. I've found him knowledgeable, willing to go the extra mile to get what I needed, and offer parts at competitive prices.

This Board provides some teriffic insight into our mutual passion for Offshore Boating. If I may, I think we need to be careful to relay what happens to us personally, rather than what "we heard". In doing so we give first hand accurate accounts, and don't harm folks that weren't actual culprits.

Again Birddog, if I can help, I'd be pleased to do so.

Steve

Blueman 04-06-2002 04:03 AM

I think tinker is on a point the broker was wanting his 10% on the sale. when ob. paid half of the mechanics bill the mechanic was working for the buyer and was more then likey aware of the problem. if he was not he should not be claiming to be a mechanic. When they addvertised fresh motors 10 hrs that was probably fraud because I bet the motors could be checked out and proved to have more hrs on them. When did it become wrong to take someones word. I know it is hard to find real men to deal with but I believe there are still some that there word and a hand shake is there bond. I guess that I am old school. Sorry about the long post but this a old sore subject with me also.
Good luck to all. :)

OffshoreOnly 04-07-2002 12:32 PM

We have now had a chance to review this thread in its entirety.

OSO