Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Talon 25 info? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/216730-talon-25-info.html)

DjMikeyC 09-18-2009 09:41 AM

Apple A Day - Just a little nervous about buying a boat site unseen. Current owner has offered to meet me in VA for a small gas fee. I'm online right now looking for a place to meet him. Anyone know a nice place to stay right on I81 in VA? Probably going to make this a 2 day trip. One day down, sleep over, meet him the next day and buy boat if it is as advertised then drive home that day. I told him if its not as advertised I'm going home without it! He says no worries. Don't want to make the drive for nothing, ya know.

If anyone does live in the MS area and wants to look at it, PM me for contact info.

Apple a day 09-18-2009 10:36 AM

If it is as advertised you will be happy. Hope it works out well. Keep us posted.

DjMikeyC 09-18-2009 06:39 PM

Ok, need to vent a little if you guys don't mind...

Owner told me on the phone that the boat was in great shape, with new interior 3 years ago, and I wont find a thing wrong with it. And you guys have seen the pics, wonder when those were taken? Maybe 3 years ago when the interior was done?

Someone from scream and fly was nice enough to go look at this for me today and he called me while he was there looking at the boat and this is his impression of the boat...

Boat has been visibly neglected, very dirty and dull (ok, this does happen), you can tell the stripes have been painted and they are now faded, not sure if they will come back with buffing. Boat needs major cleaning. You can tell it has been sitting outside with no cover - interior - vinyl is hard & stiff and starting to crack (so much for the interior) I guess he forgot to tell me it has been sitting uncovered in the elements. One sponson has a few chips, rubrail on one side is messed up. External steering ram is leaking. Trailer - is sunken in the ground sitting on the axles. Boat looks as if it has not moved in a very long time. Bunks might be rotting and carpet is peeling off so the bottom of the hull in the tunnel may be scratched up from loading.

Owner stated he was using the boat this summer!

What do you guys think this boat is worth with this new info? And what do you think it will take to bring it back? New interior $$$? Paint stripes $$$? External steering $$$? Trailer overhaul $$$?

And do I trust him the engine actually runs? I knew it would need some work, but I wasn't expecting this from speaking with the owner on the phone.

And do I worry that is has been sitting outside for who knows how long? makes me wonder about hull issues.

Sorry guys needed to vent a bit - all thoughts are welcome.

DrewDown 09-18-2009 06:57 PM

Ask for allot of detailed current photos. If you like what you see, meet him at a lake and run it.

ziemer 09-19-2009 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ziemer (Post 2953725)

Figure out a number on the I/O boat to get it back to pristine condition and then compare it to what both of these are selling for turn-key...from there decide if it's worth the hassle. Unless you're dead set on an I/O. ;)

Apple a day 09-21-2009 09:21 AM

That is really too bad. Glad you had someone check on it. I got lucky with mine as I have known the last two owners.

DjMikeyC 09-22-2009 09:37 AM

Some things came up I have to take care of so I will not be buying this boat. Anyone that is interested check the Jackson, MS craigslist.

blueamerican 09-23-2009 07:46 PM

I had a 22 that was fantastic, could not afford a 25 so bought a 26 American Offshore which was splashed off the Talon...