Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

risky business could be your next boat name !!!

At least you came back without any problem, even they were close...
Old 09-20-2009, 10:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default This is for Jayboat

Hey, Jay. found your next camera in Havana ! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-j-2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Old Havana

Pictures of Old Havana. The pic with wall and opening was an entrance to the city where the gate would be closed each night. A very Spanish / European feel to it with narrow streets and plazas.
The pic with railing around is the remains of an old underground water tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-1.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-2.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-3.jpg  

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-4.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-5.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default More pics of Old Havana

Some restorations under way. Money is drying up. In this pic with tower crane, only the facade is preserved.
My buddies enjoying a mojito at a really neat bar that was once something like a monastery.
Attached Thumbnails Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-6.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-7.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-8.jpg  

Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-9.jpg   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Key West to Havana, Cuba-oh-11.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-21-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice trip I am sure.

Also nice to see what how the Communist system really worked for them ....
Old 09-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

What a thread - just read the whole thing. Glad it worked out well and thanks for sharing the photos.

What you are describing sounds a lot like China (SE Asia as a whole in general). I have spent months there for work and know the feeling when you walk in factories like what you describe. The poverty in some places is almost unbearable. I also know the feeling when you get back on American/Canada soil and you thank your god that you get to come back to these great places where we live.

Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Registered

Wow this is a FANTASTIC thread, the kind of thread that makes these special interest forums! Nice job!

If anyone is interested in the history of the Mob control and how it lead to the Revolution of Cuba I recommend this book....

"Havana Nocturne" How the Mob owned Cuba... and then lost it to the Revolution (2008)

And if you read Blue Thunder, the Don Aronow story... there are a few of the same names written in both books.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Arrive at Marina Hemingway shortly after 10 AM.
Takes just over an hour to clear with all authorities to leave. Bribes are limited to Tee shirts and hats.
Coast Guard officials instruct us not to run down the coast toward central Havana but rather go 5 miles straight out before setting our coarse for Key West. No reason given.
30 miles out I got whacked on the side of my face and right shoulder by a Flying Fish at 45 MPH. The guys did not see it and did not believe me until they could smell the fish on me ! Too funny. No harm to me, not sure how the fish is as he did not land in the boat. Too strange and funny. Probably not funny if it was a few inches to the left and caught me square in the face or throat.
Seas were inconsistent and miserable most of the time. Winds had picked up and were NE. Wave height varied from 2 - 4's to 5 - 7 much of the time. I think we still made it in just over 2 hrs which was great.
Arrive in Key West harbor around 2:15 ish and contact US Customs. There is a big debate on whether we have violated the embargo with Cuba. In the end and due to some technicalities it was decided that we in fact did not, however if we had brought anything back they were to be seized. I knew that could be an issue, so I had instructed my crew we were to bring nothing back, with no exceptions. Customs agreed this made our situation better. I have agreed there will be no further trips to Cuba with the boat until US regulations allow it so it looks like this adventure was a once in a lifetime thing. i can live with that as there are lots of other places to go to - like Turks and Caicos and hopefully BVI as well. It was 5:30 PM by the time I finished with them and ready to head for Marco Island.
A check of my XM weather showed severe thunderstorms on the Gulf right in my path so made a decision to get a room at the Hyatt in Key West and cross to Marco Island Monday morning. My crew had flights pre arranged out of Key West to Toronto thru Miami so they will be home this evening. I was no sooner in my room than I got a call from Hans ( rockstrmkr ) not to come due to the severe weather so looks like I made the right decision.
That's pretty well it, just another day at the office ! LOL
Bob
Why the question about braking the embargo?
wasn't everyone Canadian?
what type registration or documentation do you have on the boat? U.S.? Canadian?
the embargo is and has been such a waste and joke.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Structures built by the Spanish to protect Old Havana from attack. Dating back to 16 and 1700's.
I could be wrong...but I think this is the spot where the U.S.S. Maine blew up and started the Spanish American war. I can't even imagine how cool a trip this would be to take. Thanks for sharing it with us. Billy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.