Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My Hustler Gets A  *Mitcher T Paint Job* >

My Hustler Gets A *Mitcher T Paint Job*

Notices

My Hustler Gets A *Mitcher T Paint Job*

Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling this thread will "disappear".
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity
Being a painter myself and looking at this progress pics and seeing all these parts taped up that could be removed makes me wonder. I paint cars and will be painting my own boat soon and when it comes to the cars we take everything off not mask around it. When it comes to my boat it will be the same thing everything will be removed
You are assuming you can get at everything to take it off. Unlike a car, that is not always the case with a boat. If you ever watched a boat being built from scratch many parts are put in place before the deck and hull are bonded together, and before the engines are rigged.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a painter myself and looking at this progress pics and seeing all these parts taped up that could be removed makes me wonder. I paint cars and will be painting my own boat soon and when it comes to the cars we take everything off not mask around it. When it comes to my boat it will be the same thing everything will be removed
I am also a painter and totally agree! I see way too much stuff taped on boats (and yes I know how they are built) that doesn't need to be... rubrails, thru hulls, vents etc... Funny I saw calk around a rubrail painted over on a new Roughrider a while back, wonder how its holding up now
Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
You are assuming you can get at everything to take it off. Unlike a car, that is not always the case with a boat. If you ever watched a boat being built from scratch many parts are put in place before the deck and hull are bonded together, and before the engines are rigged.
Any part I see taped in those pictures can be removed. Cleats, stern light and the mounts for the trim tabs. Sometime people don't realize its easier to remove then tape over.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Any part I see taped in those pictures can be removed. Cleats, stern light and the mounts for the trim tabs. Sometime people don't realize its easier to remove then tape over.
It depends..... I painted my transom last winter and taped over the tabs... They way they're bonded/sealed, along with hydralic lines it can sometimes be a real PITA to get off and sometimes the gelcoat comes with it. There were a few steering fittings that I didn't remove, along with the lifting eyes but what i did for those was loosen the backing nuts and push the fitting out approx. an inch or so so I could paint behind them, then taped them off.

Also, on my boat, to get off the grab rail that goes down the center of the boat off you need to remove the entire headliner from the cabin which due to how it's installed (bullet proof) it will take a LOT of time to take it down so most people, unless they're re-doing the interior, tape and paint.

When I painted the deck of my old Panther like 10 years ago I was able to remove EVERY piece of hardware.

I agree on some of the other stuff like cleats, thru-hulls, rub-rails etc., yeah, take em off!
Attached Thumbnails My Hustler Gets A  *Mitcher T Paint Job*-project-x-047-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

You are assuming it was the painter's decision not to remove all removable parts. The customer may make that decision based on what the additional cost is to remove and replace those parts. Not all removable parts on boats are easily accessed from inside to get at the nuts. Removing parts sealed with 5200 can result in gel damage.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

I'm sure all the options were discussed with Rob before the job was started. We all know, including Mitch, of the problems Rob had with the other shops that worked on his boat.

Maybe he is just too busy to worry about posting pics and talking about it ???

Who knows Rob personally?? Why don't they call him instead of guessing??

I sent Rob a P.M.--Lets see if he reponds.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-24-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Mitch has a technique for masking that works very well for him. To tell the truth i was skeptical of the method myself until i saw a few of his jobs first hand. After chatting with him about it i understand exactly why he does it that way now. Regardless of the assumptions here, Mitch is respected and at a very high level in this profession for a reason.

I have a regular customer that has a Mitch T paint job on his Awesome cat. The quality is extremely high and its a benchmark that i use for my own work.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-24-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

No assumptions, but there are alot of people who followed this thread from the beginning and then it was dead in the water. I look forward to progress threads like this and like many others I was disappointed not to see the final result.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
No assumptions, but there are alot of people who followed this thread from the beginning and then it was dead in the water. I look forward to progress threads like this and like many others I was disappointed not to see the final result.
I agree on seeing the final product. I would not think for one minute that Mitch would even take a chance of cutting corners to save time or money when it is his name on the line. I have seen the highest priced sunsations and the lowest price sunsations and the quality is always the same top notch. Now let's see the final pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.