Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My Hustler Gets A  *Mitcher T Paint Job* >

My Hustler Gets A *Mitcher T Paint Job*

Notices

My Hustler Gets A *Mitcher T Paint Job*

Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly no response so far. I must say I am a bit puzzled as to why he has not posted here. He has certainly been busy elsewhere on the board.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered

I appreciate all of the interest that this thread has generated. I believe that it’s time that there has been a response to all of your questions. I personally will apologize for the lack of response on my behalf.

Rob brought his Hustler to my studio a few months ago for the paint repairs. We discussed at length all of the repairs that he expected and the progression of where the original painter left off. There were a ton of areas that needed work including poor clearcoat adhesion, poor fades, incorrect lines and matching of the graphics from above and below the rubrail, hundreds of chips in the paint mostly in the front bow area, static stains from blending the clearcoat, and just poor workmanship throughout the paintjob from both the factory and the previous painter. I agreed to fix these areas and tried to reassure Rob that they would be handled to his satisfaction. I wanted very much to end Rob’s nightmare with his Hustler. Rob was understandably very sensitive and paranoid/cautious over his plight.

The condition of the boat was very poor when we got it and we wound up having to apply two more blocking sessions to the deck and another partial session in areas that still needed more work. My team worked on the boat for three weeks. We repaired hundreds of areas and finished the deck to our normal quality standards. Rob and Kitty stayed at my home for three days waiting patiently for the boat to get finished and departed for Mississippi on a Saturday.

A couple of weeks later Rob and I talked on the phone and he voiced some of his concerns and outlined several areas that he was dissatisfied with on the finished product. We agreed that the great majority of the areas were below the rubrail in the paintwork from the previous painter and the factory paint. Rob felt that there were several areas there that still needed more attention than we gave it and there were still a few issues with the work that my team had performed. He reiterated the conversations that we had had previously about his being ‘perfectionistic’ and ‘fussy’. I respect him for that attribute. We had developed a good repoire in our relationship and we agreed to make an effort to work together to continue to work more on the boat to attempt to bring the finished product to meet his expectations.

I stand behind my workmanship and my reputation, and I agreed to personally fly down to Mississippi in my aircraft with one of my employees and work more on his Hustler and address his concerns. Rob and Kitty were very gracious with accommodating us in their home for three days while my assistant and I worked with Rob diligently on his boat.

We repaired another 50 or more areas below the rubrail, and a dozen or so in our area above the rubrail, that Rob felt still needed attention. We were going to stay until Rob was nothing but satisfied with his paintwork. My assistant and I (and Rob) worked into the night under halogen lights trying to achieve the finish that Rob was looking for. We even repaired more areas that Rob had never seen until we had the lights on them. Rob and I both agreed that there were still areas that could use more attention but that his finish now was of an extremely high quality standard. He was very pleased with the outcome of the finished product and our efforts to work with him toward his full satisfaction.

Rob took us to the airport and assured me that he would respond in a timely and positive manner to this thread, considering all the attention it seems to be getting. We shook hands and parted friends.

His lack of response after 10 days and the renewed interest generated in this thread prompted me to call him early last week. We talked as friends and he agreed to respond, excusing his delay as being busy and just not being able to get to it. He is a busy man, so please be patient with his response.

I hope that this will dispel any of the rumors and concerns over this project. Rob will have a beautiful boat in the end that he will be very proud of. We all worked hard together to make his Hustler a showpiece. He still has a lot of work to do now with the re-rigging. He is a perfectionist that will settle for nothing less.

I look forward to seeing his boat in the water, soon.

Mitcher T.

Last edited by Mitcher T; 11-29-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Mitch

Thanks for the update!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM
VIP Member

Glad to see something being told.

I feel bad for Rob, now knowing exactly how bad the other painters F'ed up his boat.

And kudos to Mitch for taking on a project knowing he was going to have to fix someone elses crap. Most guys would have run from that deal.

I guess this lays to rest any doubts about Mitch's level of service. Talk about standing by his work !!!! Thanks Mitch !!!!

Last edited by Smitty; 11-30-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow, & I thought I was fussy that takes it to a whole new level
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ran-Dom 32
Wow, & I thought I was fussy that takes it to a whole new level
With the amount of investment we have in these toys I'd expect nothing less! The majority of us would probably just say no problem and move on or maybe even say no problem even if we weren't 100% satisfied.

If there's anyone who actually knows Rob they know how much of a perfectionist he is and how nice everything is that he owns... Just go back to the old threads when he put his engines together, they were showpieces and you could eat dinner off the blowers! I only wish my stuff was as nice as his.

Rob, glad you're moving forward and look forwad to hearing more about your boating adventures next season!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered

Mitch
Thanks for the update. Your extra effort goes a long way in this day and age very nice to see. I'm sure many people on here will remember your willingness to meet the customers satisfaction. I hope it continues to bring you more work in the future.
Steve
Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Registered

I met Mitcher a couple of yrs ago @ Seaneca Lake Poker Run and all I can say is what a pleasure it was talking with him. He was so down to earth and and who can ever give him enough credit for his work.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for the support everyone!

Rob is a great guy and he is a perfectionist. I was very impressed with how much he loves his Hustler. He has his drives of in the garage and he sanded the lower units down with 46 grit paperand then worked up to maybe 3000 grit and has polished them to a mirror polish! Jeez, he spent like 4 months doing that! He knows that they will tarnish when he drops it back in the water, but I'm sure he'll keep up with them.

He was always very congenial to work with, just very fussy and concerned. I can appreciate that. I had to take my work to a new level for him. I hope it is worth it.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

I had to take my work to a new level for him. I hope it is worth it.

I thought you only did that for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.