Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Real #'s for our tow home (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21707-real-s-our-tow-home.html)

Audiofn 04-06-2002 10:19 AM

Real #'s for our tow home

Well I just did my first long tow with the new truck. I have been SO disapointed with the fuel economy as I see all these high milage numbers from guys on the board saying that they are getting 20+mpg and all that. Well I am starting to find out that they are just that, high milage numbers, kind of like the guy that says his Boston Whaler goes 70. No facts about them, or reading taken while traveling down hill. The actualls that I got on my 99 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually Power Stroke 4X4 are 11.5 MPG towing a 38 foot Top Gun on a tripple axle trailer at a average speed of 65-70mph. We ESTIMATE the total load to be around 13000 pounds. I did the math and did not relly on the computer that is aparently hightly inaccurate on some trucks although mine seems to be right on the money. The only problem we had was that some of my Turbo tubes loosened up on the way out to LOTO and were blowing charge air out of them, but other then that I was VERY happy with the way the truck pulled the load. Still hate the way it shifts.

jafo 04-06-2002 10:35 AM

Jon- Those numbers aren't really too bad considering the weight you were pulling and using winter-blended fuel. I agree with you on everyone's high mileage numbers with the PSD though.
I bought a PSD-powered Excursion, trading in my 2000 F350 DRW CC V-10. I never saw 8 mpg pulling the 242LS with that truck, and can't imagine the mileage pulling a TG! Loved the truck and the engine, but couldn't live with the mileage.
I have been lurking on the ford-diesel.com website since this is my first diesel, and just ordered a Super Chips MicroTuner for the X. It comes highly recommended, and sounds like it cures all the crappy shifting problems as well.
WP Performance in KY is selling these as $305 including shipping- they list for about $450. They have a 60hp and 80 hp mode, and from the rave reviews are the best. Talk to Wade- he spent an hour explaining to me what works and what doesn't. They do a helluva lot of testing on EVERYTHING!
Congrats on the truck!
Jim

Playn 04-06-2002 11:05 AM

Jon, I have a 2002 PSD and tow quite regularly. When towing I seem to get in the 11-12 range and about 15-16 not towing. I know some people have said they get better mileage with a chip but I have not done that yet. Personaaly I'm skeptical of the higher claims of mileage. I do tend to drive with a lead foot though:rolleyes:

NASTY HABIT 04-06-2002 11:26 AM

My retired P.S.D 1 ton dually work truck... approx. wieght 11,500 loaded with tools..... I averaged around 11-11.5 all day every day..highway or city... of course i never drove it as my grandma would...I was told the # s woudl stretch out as it broke in after 20k miles or so... i never saw that.... but after 100,000 miles I was still givin it heck......

jafo 04-06-2002 11:28 AM

I don't think anyone is getting a lot of increased MPG from chip, or the SCMT- maybe .5 or 1 at best. The nice thing about the SCMT is it plugs into the diagnostic port, reporgrams the computer, and then is removed. It's about the size of digital VOM. The computer can be returned to stock in a couple of keystrokes for service center visits. No chips to install or their associated problems.
The only added cost may be addition of an EGT and/or boost gauge (nice looking ones available for the A-pillar from many sources) , and maybe some reserve money for rear rubber?;) :D
I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Audiofn 04-06-2002 12:45 PM

Jafo keep us posted on that thing. I want to know if it messes up your trip computer at all. I have heard that it makes if really inaccurate.

Jon

Niuhi 04-06-2002 12:54 PM

I have the Cummins, being it's a Dodge , but my fuel economy is generally unloaded around 13 sometimes 14 with the 4:10.

It really wouldn't do any good for anyone to post my towing numbers since I pull a small boat (211 Liberator) and go over allot steeper and larger passes than you folks do back East, but I would say what you got towing the TG is pretty damn good. I'd be happy with that.

Les