Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Decision made Active Thunder/Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21725-decision-made-active-thunder-cigarette.html)

Bosco 04-15-2002 08:50 AM

Temper - Temper,

I dont remember saying anything bad about active thunder. That was an assumtion on someone elses part. I simply drew an anology, that does not make hyundi a bad motor car. Only one thats half the price of a Lexus, and do you see there advertising. Why spend 30k when you can get away with only 15k.

I have many times lauded pats efforts at active thunder, and still believe they do a good job. However, I do not agree with a comparison to a product like Cigarette. No one needs to get angry, I am voicing my opinion just like so many of you have.

As far as the dig about composit manufacturing, Powerplay has been out in the forefront. All the boats are vaccum bagged core of an inch in thickness. They use pure vinylester resin, and the most advanced Knytex nit laminants. All boats spend 2 weeks while being molded. 160 man hours go into bonding the components together as one piece prior to rigging.

Why, you ask do they still use lumber in there transom and stringers? Becouse about 10 years ago they built race boats with foam, and they simply would not hold up. Simply put, all the fasteners used on motor mounts and transom assemblies would wollow out and parts would become mis-aligned and break.

You see, the space between the cells on even the most dense foams is air that eventually breaks down. Good lumber holds better becouse of the chris cross of grain as well as the fibrous nature of a tree.

Of course the boys racing in F2 on a thunder know all about this as I have seen there boat in the shop getting re-aligned a few times in Pompano. :cool:

Dean Ferry 04-15-2002 09:20 AM

Skypirate,
Did you get your private message I sent you last week? Just looking for another Hi-Performance Boater on M.I. to go boating with. Do you have a boat now? Where do you live on Merritt Island?
MD

Whatdoin 04-15-2002 09:38 AM

AMAZING, Bosco STILL doesn't answer the questions that the other members have asked! Why does he seem more concerned about AT than their own boat?

AC 04-15-2002 10:18 AM

Bosco,

I would have to agree with you "You can't compare AT to a product like Cigarette" I had a 28 AT built and when I got it I had to get rid of it because of fit & finish problems! I own a Cigarette now - I should of bought the Cigarette from the beginning and I wouldn't of loss $$$$. Why do AT owners get all bent out of shape when you state your opinion/facts??

:D

thunderdan 04-15-2002 10:35 AM

There is a big difference when someone is stating their opinions objectively. He works for a manufacturer and represents powerplay. That is why we get "bent out of shape" no objectivity. I get bent out of shape when a manufacturer puts down another manufacturer, that is bad business, I get bent out of shape when my phone calls requesting information do not get returned. I do not get bent out of shape when someone gives their opinions.:D

Indy 04-15-2002 11:02 AM

AC...I'm still curious as to what AT did to address your problems besides make changes to their molds :confused: Is there another part of the story?

AC 04-15-2002 11:52 AM

Originally posted by thunderdan
There is a big difference when someone is stating their opinions objectively. He works for a manufacturer and represents powerplay. That is why we get "bent out of shape" no objectivity. I get bent out of shape when a manufacturer puts down another manufacturer, that is bad business, I get bent out of shape when my phone calls requesting information do not get returned. I do not get bent out of shape when someone gives their opinions.:D
Dan,

I was referring to Jassman! not you buddy!

AC 04-15-2002 12:02 PM

Originally posted by thunderdan

By the way I agree with you that manufactures should not down other manufactures but if a customer has an issue with the manufacture they have the right to state the facts!

thunderdan 04-15-2002 12:14 PM

Gotcha, AC. :D

ActiveThunder 04-15-2002 02:02 PM

Sorry about the Cig vs. AT stats. I stand corrected:

AT model years:

That would be apples to apples.