Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Question on storing a stepped bottom boat. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/217397-question-storing-stepped-bottom-boat.html)

CaptJohnT 09-23-2009 05:49 PM

Question on storing a stepped bottom boat.

I have a 35 Lightning twin-step that we just purchased and I am keeping it at a local dry storage marina. I would like any advice on the best way to support the hull and steps to prevent hull bottom problems. As of right now the dry storage racks are two bunks about 3.5 feet apart. I always make sure when they put the boat up that it is slid far enough forward to support the aft of the transom. Thanks in advance.:flag:

Sydwayz 09-23-2009 05:52 PM

You need to have them tack some 2x4s or whatever thickness/dimension is needed to support each section of the step bottom perfectly.

You can bevel the forward section of each step of the wood down at a 30-45 degree angle. This will alleviate the fork truck from catching the step on the stepped bunks when removing the boat from the rack.

Anything less WILL damage the aft of the steps and worse over time. I guarantee it.

glassdave 09-23-2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2959101)
You need to have them tack some 2x4s or whatever thickness/dimension is needed to support each section of the step bottom perfectly.

You can bevel the forward section of each step of the wood down at a 30-45 degree angle. This will alleviate the fork truck from catching the step on the stepped bunks when removing the boat from the rack.

Anything less WILL damage the aft of the steps and worse over time. I guarantee it.

100% agreed as i have had to repair this type of damage all to often. It can lead to some major de-lam and structural issues. If possible see if you can have a bunk dedicated to your boat and cut them to fit the contour of your steps.

one other thing to note if your bunks are not full length make sure they are lifting the boat straight up off the bunks. If it is allowed to dip down to far or rock on the nose as its coming up this action can place a lot of pressure at the forward tips of the bunks and the rise at the bow. If the bunks extend past the flat running surface you should be ok. Try to watch them pull it a few times to make sure. I had a friend (Madcow here on OSO) that had this recurring stress damage at the bow of his boat and we had assumed it was internal and stemmed from an existing repair that may not have been done properly. I did the same cosmetic repair every fall and one time i happen to be present when they were pulling the boat to put on the work rack . . . . . mystery solved. As they lifted the boat the full weight of the bow rested on the corners at the front of the bunks momentarily as the forks flexed and equalized to support the weight . We rounded off the bunks and it was fine after that.

sellsman11 09-23-2009 07:07 PM

They both beat me to it. Call me if I can help John.

Frankie

CaptJohnT 09-23-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by sellsman11 (Post 2959173)
They both beat me to it. Call me if I can help John.

Frankie

Hey Frankie!!! Hope things are going well for you. You better call me if you get back to destin. This boat has been stored on this type bunk system for 2 years in the showroom. Do you think there is major hull damage?? Thanks!!!

CaptJohnT 09-23-2009 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2959132)
100% agreed as i have had to repair this type of damage all to often. It can lead to some major de-lam and structural issues. If possible see if you can have a bunk dedicated to your boat and cut them to fit the contour of your steps.

one other thing to note if your bunks are not full length make sure they are lifting the boat straight up off the bunks. If it is allowed to dip down to far or rock on the nose as its coming up this action can place a lot of pressure at the forward tips of the bunks and the rise at the bow. If the bunks extend past the flat running surface you should be ok. Try to watch them pull it a few times to make sure. I had a friend (Madcow here on OSO) that had this recurring stress damage at the bow of his boat and we had assumed it was internal and stemmed from an existing repair that may not have been done properly. I did the same cosmetic repair every fall and one time i happen to be present when they were pulling the boat to put on the work rack . . . . . mystery solved. As they lifted the boat the full weight of the bow rested on the corners at the front of the bunks momentarily as the forks flexed and equalized to support the weight . We rounded off the bunks and it was fine after that.

Wound anyone have any pics or drawings I could go off of? Thanks!!