Notices

If You Wanted To Race?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question If You Wanted To Race?

I didn't put this in the General Race section because I wanted opinions of other's who haven't raced in Offshore also and may be thinking about getting into it.

The only boat racing I have done is in "KneeBangers" years ago and RC. My wife and I were considering buying the old IN M'OCEAN package when Jerry had it for sale in Keywest after the '02 World's, but then illness hit and we didn't do anything for over two years (way too much boat to start with anyway).

I have read every rule I can possibly think of and still have not figured it out. There is OSS, SBI, APBA, OPA, POPRA, etc. Any boat legal to run in all?

Finally to my question:

If you were starting from zip, (thought about stripping the Scorpion and running it, but the guys from CatCanDo convinced me that running with my wife means a canopy boat period), what would you do? Criteria, as I see it;

1. The boat must be legal for P Class in OPA/POPRA and P Class in SBIP/APBA (possible?). The reason is to run more races with minimum travel.
2. Must have a canopy, (Batboat?/Canopied Cat?).
3. Should be able to be repowered and run in the main classes after a year or two? (Once again in multiple organizations).
4.? Anyones input.

My thought is a P5 boat to stay in the 30' range for $ and ease of travel, then repower for a class such as ?, but P5 in OPA is single or dual and P5 in OSS is single only. Is all of this just a figment or is there a way to do it? Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I raced in an "A" boat from 90-94. I now own a 38 Donzi Comp and have no plans of racing. I love off-shore racing but the maintenance and upkeep can be staggering. You also have to look at insurance and lack there off when racing. That aside,
If I could afford to competitively race again, I would definitely run a canopy boat with harnesses and air. I broke a few ribs, and almost got tossed more than once in the old open boats.
Being new to racing as you are, I would recommend a V-bottom to get started. For single engine, the Bat boat could be good but I would look more at an Activator or Superboat. I had a 29' Kryptonite and would highly recommend that but I don't think they are making them right now and they never made a canopy boat.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy a canopied Super V Lite with a SEALED 525 and race it ANYWHERE you want. There is a husban wife team "UNDER DESTRUCTION" racing with OSS. Tem Wild Card in OSS has a stock 2003 525 in the boat that has NEVER been apart. Good Luck & Be Safe. I would love to tell you to buy a twin outboard boat but it is not the best starter class.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure which class this is, but if you want competition this seems to be the class to be in. Easy to transport and if they use sealed engines then that "should" keep costs down.
Attached Thumbnails If You Wanted To Race?-bimini-race-2008-011.jpg   If You Wanted To Race?-bimini-race-2008-016.jpg   If You Wanted To Race?-bimini-race-2008-013.jpg  

Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Not sure which class this is, but if you want competition this seems to be the class to be in. Easy to transport and if they use sealed engines then that "should" keep costs down.
Those are OSS Super V light like Beckley said.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Racer
Racer

Buy a P Class boat they are cheaper and less expensive to operate. No sealed motors which need to inspected (sent to Mercury). More races, races closer to you. Next year you will have 3 OPA races in your back yard. More boats to race against. 15 boats in Class 5 is normal. No entry fees, $750 annual registration fee. Race with at least 8 Michigan Teams. Finally, P Class racing will always be around.

I also have a bat boat for sale with a Merc 337 Scorpion and Bravo One on an Aluminum Myco Trailer for sale at a great price. Perfect Class 5 or 6 boat. Fast, small enough to put in your Garage and safe enough to run with your wife. You could have the whole thing for the price of just the power in a Vee Lite.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratickle
I didn't put this in the General Race section because I wanted opinions of other's who haven't raced in Offshore also and may be thinking about getting into it.

The only boat racing I have done is in "KneeBangers" years ago and RC. My wife and I were considering buying the old IN M'OCEAN package when Jerry had it for sale in Keywest after the '02 World's, but then illness hit and we didn't do anything for over two years (way too much boat to start with anyway).

I have read every rule I can possibly think of and still have not figured it out. There is OSS, SBI, APBA, OPA, POPRA, etc. Any boat legal to run in all?

Finally to my question:

If you were starting from zip, (thought about stripping the Scorpion and running it, but the guys from CatCanDo convinced me that running with my wife means a canopy boat period), what would you do? Criteria, as I see it;

1. The boat must be legal for P Class in OPA/POPRA and P Class in SBIP/APBA (possible?). The reason is to run more races with minimum travel.
2. Must have a canopy, (Batboat?/Canopied Cat?).
3. Should be able to be repowered and run in the main classes after a year or two? (Once again in multiple organizations).
4.? Anyones input.

My thought is a P5 boat to stay in the 30' range for $ and ease of travel, then repower for a class such as ?, but P5 in OPA is single or dual and P5 in OSS is single only. Is all of this just a figment or is there a way to do it? Thoughts?
Hell, I'll be your dock hand if you need one! Ive been looking for away into racing since I was 18...There's a really nice Phantom in the classifieds but it has no power and is a big boat!

Gimme a shout if you need help...
hill_ryan at hotmail.com
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

SVL, race it P or spec class.... gives you the chance to race wherever and whenever you want.... canopy, long lasting 525, easily towable....
Old 08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Best bang for the buck and safest is an SVL run a STOCK sealed motor and change the OIL & FLUIDS and you'll be good to go. You can run a SVL boat in P4, P3, or SVL. In OSS svl the race have no entry fee and good prize money and you ONLY race boats similar to yours with the SAME motor. You don't have to "WORK" on your motor for it to be competitive in OSS SVL and last but not least you have Mercury at the races to work on it an Mercury's per race & yearly contingency.....
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

If we were going to do it again. I would not change a thing.

A canopy is a must if your wife is in the boat.

A SVL boat gives you the option of racing in any org.

The 525 is almost bullit proof. A 525 might cost more but also hold there value + Mercury support

How fast does your wife want to go?

How tough is she?

We debated on running OPA vs OSS. If you only plan on racing a few races its a good place to start, and some races are close to home for you.

If you plan on racing hard and don't like speeding tickets OSS all the way.

Quick Reply: If You Wanted To Race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.