Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   who overnights in their boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21752-who-overnights-their-boats.html)

LutzParty 04-07-2002 01:32 PM

Overnight stays is a big advantage with our 94 Sea Ray 330EC with the generator, AC, and fresh water, its just like home complete with microwave popcorn and a movie for the kids.

We have gone out for a few 2-3 night stays with the kids, they love it. My only fear is that the anchor breaks loose and we drift. We plan on spending more time on it this summer than in the past couple of summers. Its also nice when we hook up with our OSO friends at LOTO. We have the big Deck for dancing :D

IDRPSTF 04-07-2002 01:33 PM

Troutly, Why are you even selling the boat if you dont mind me asking? It sounds like you and your family have a blast with it.

Intolerant1 04-07-2002 02:06 PM

Overnighting was the reason we bought our boat over somthing lighter/faster. Its a 26' Liberator and has more room in the cuddy and cockpit than any other boat its size that I have been on. Its a bit cramped for me at 6'4" on the v-berth but Ive usually had some liquid sleep aids by bed time. We are thinking of having a camper top made which will more than double the usable space.

wet pleasure 04-07-2002 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
spent lots of weekends in my 280 baja. One reason i installed a tv/vcr. me and the wife have spent up to 4 nights in a row. looking for a biger boat with some more luxuries.

Tbikini 04-07-2002 03:59 PM

We overnight all the time, in fact that is just about all we do. We call the boat a camper on the water. Our old (just sold!) Powerquest 290 was great for just the two of us, and even slept 3 pretty well. Now we have another little one to contend with. Actually, we went to a poker run last year and all 4 of us slept in the boat for a week. That's 2 adults, and 2 children age 3 and under for six days ....must be crazy, or really love boating! However...I think that week was a primary reason we started looking for a bigger boat. Might of had something to do with getting beat to pieces in the poker run too.:D We purchased the 37 Active Thunder with the new interior and all the amenities. People who don't overnight in their boats don't understand why we want all those things like AC, Micro, Fridge, TV etc. In fact, Steve and Pat at AT couldn't believe that we actually cooked in the Micro. (more than just popcorn:D ) Our PQ was loaded with all the goodies, but we found we were like the rest of you, carting the Tv/VCR along with us, etc. Sad to see the old girl go, but looking forward to the new boat.:)

pullmytrigger 04-07-2002 04:08 PM

Troutly- why dont you get yourself one of the used Outerlimits that are "floating" around?

Cattitude 04-07-2002 04:10 PM

In a 25' Daytona even!

My wife and I overnite on occasion when we go to other lakes like Grand. If it's peak season it's a bit hot at night and we'll spring for alternate accomodations. We live on Beaver so it's a no brainer to put the boat on the lift and go to the house.

Who needs headroom unless you sleep standing up?!:D

cuda 04-07-2002 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One year ago to today, we bought a 26 Rinker aft cabin, with sole purpose of spending weekends on it. We have yet to spend a night on it. It seems there is always some reason we need to be back in the evenings. As a matter of fact, we only had it out three times in the past year. It is for sale, if anyone wants a good solid boat, with room for weekends.

wwwTOPDJcom 04-07-2002 05:13 PM

anyone ever sleep on there boat while its on the trailer?
some reasons for this are,

we were at watkins glen for the race when the race was over
we head out to lake Ontario or one of NY's finger lakes
real close is Seneca Lake, its funny to be in a RV area with a boat
but when asked all I say is does your rv double as a boat, NO

trip to LOTO is taking to long and I need a nap.

other reasons I was at a state park where the slips are limited
so at the end of the day we would pull the boat out for the night

all in all some of my best sleep was boat on trailer haha
or glass smooth water.

C_Spray 04-07-2002 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Troutly
We need more room. The head room in that boat is only 4'8" and I'm 6'4", my wife is 5'10". With the kid with it gets kind of cramped in the cabin. Plus, we have to haul around the portable A/C, TV/VCR, and all that other crap. We'd love to get into a boat in the 35-38 ft range that has a bit more room, built in A/C - TV/VCR (DVD) and such.
Troutly - We use our Formula 382 for multiple-night trips,andit works pretty well. It's got a few more inches of headroom than the 353, but also has the TV/VCR, A/C, hot/cold water and a generator, so we can cool off anytime. I mentioned to Scott Porter that the 382 could do with a little more headroom without ruining the lines of the boat, but I don't think that they're planning on making a new mold real soon. Like you, we sleep on the settee area with the filler cushions instead of the v-berth. My only complaint is that it could use a bit more storage space for luggage.