Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT:Trailer hitch will not fit (step bumper) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/21756-ot-trailer-hitch-will-not-fit-step-bumper.html)

kook 04-07-2002 01:05 PM

OT:Trailer hitch will not fit (step bumper)

Went to Hidden Hitch earlier in the week - these guys do tons of hitches - sales and installation.

Anyway, the hitch they gave me will not bolt up to the frame because the receiver input interferes with the bottom of the step bumper (8" step?). Anyone heard of this problem?

When I try to locate the hitch under the frame, there's a good 1" space between the bottom of the frame rails and the top of the mounting flanges on the hitch, because the receiver input hits the bottom of the bumper.

From what I can tell, this is the stock bumper. 1990 F150 4x4.

-Mark

blue thunder 04-07-2002 01:19 PM

Gotta be the wrong hitch bro... take it back with the truck and ask them how they propose it to go on.

BT :cool:

buck183 04-07-2002 02:16 PM

You probably have the right hitch for your truck, just the wrong hitch to fit under the bumper. Make sense? Didn't think so.

I would be willing to bet that your bumper is a 10" drop bumper. Most standard hitches will fit under an 8" drop. Either way, all hitch manufacturers make a hitch that will drop down below your bumper. You'll just need a different part #.

I think the part # you need from Hidden Hitch is #82168. I'm not at my shop right now to applicate it, but I used their online application guide for this number. You may want to verify it before purchasing.

PS. Plan on drilling 6 holes too.

Good luck.

Buck

kook 04-08-2002 06:01 PM

Got the "correct" hitch, though it's not a single piece hitch - it's a 3-piece jobbie - the sides (flanges) bolt to the main tube. The guy at the shop said the truck had an aftermarket bumper - looked OEM to me, but what do I know............ Not too thrilled about having a 3-piece hitch. I'll have to look at the Hidden Hitch part number on it.

buck183 04-08-2002 06:42 PM

The three piece set-up is pretty standard for a drop down hitch like that. Most companies that I deal with make them like that too.

I have yet to see Hidden Hitch make a bad product.

Good luck.

Buck

kook 04-08-2002 10:29 PM

I installed it tonite - looks good. I forget what the "average" ball height is supposed to be - I recall something like 18" from the ground to the top of the ball - sound about right? I'm going to get one of those cushioned ball mounts.

blue thunder 04-09-2002 05:15 PM

The right height is when the trailer is perfectly level. Only way to tell this is to hook it to the truck and see how far it drops, then correct with rise or drop.

BT :cool:

buck183 04-09-2002 08:40 PM

I agree w/ blue thunder. There is no "standard" for tongue height. Each trailer is different. The right height is having your trailer level.

Buck