Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request... >

Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request...

Notices

Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request...

Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lake George Fall Poker Run Cancelled due to LGPC Request...

Got this and a phone call from Norm...

Originally Posted by Green Eyes
Yesterday I was informed by the Lake George Park Commission (LGPC), that they had filed a request with the NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to revoke the regatta permit for this event. The permit was issued by the DEC on June 1, 2009 without objection by the LGPC. They are now requesting that it be revoked due to "safety, navigational, recreational and environmental concerns". Although the LGPC had reviewed the permit application in May and requested modifications which were then incorporated into a modified application, they've now decided to seek to revoke the permit just 2 weeks before the event was scheduled to take place.
I cannot apologize to everyone who registered and our sponsors enough. I have to say that I didn't see this coming. On June 12th a meeting was held with representatives from the LGPC followed by various telephone conversations and personal meetings as well. I have known all along that the LGPC was difficult to work with. I had been warned by many people. However, I thought that in working with them throughout the process, we had established a reasonable working relationship. Obviously I was misled.
Not only did they not agree to increase the speed limit for the event, they have now also removed the exemption for the "noise limits" and requested that the permit itself be revoked.
ALL REGISTRATION FEES AND SPONSOR FEES WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL. All checks will refunded or returned this week.
I intend to appeal this action vigorously. However, in the meantime, I think that's it's only fair to return everyone's money.
The Fort William Henry has agreed to refund all deposits and payments in full as well due to this arbitrary action by the LGPC.
THERE IS NO EVENT! Please do not just "show up". If so, it will be condsidered an illegal gathering and I can guarantee you that the LGPC will be there in full force to ticket as many people as they can for so sound, noise, speed and anything else that they can think of.
Again, I apologize. If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call at 518-312-7478.
Norm
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just sent this out, if anyone thinks of others that need to be cced, let me know...

Bunch of mental midgets on those commissions, no wonder NY state is run so effectively...

Originally Posted by GLH
To:'[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'

Subject: Cancelling of Regatta Permit issued by the DEC to Poker Run Production LLC for weekend of October 10th 2009

Bruce E. Young, Chairman
Lake George Park Commission
75 Fort George Road, PO Box 749
Lake George, New York 12845

BY EMAIL

Mr. Young,

It is with great regret that I was informed yesterday that your agency had asked to revoke the Regatta Permit issued by the DEC to Poker Run Production LLC for a Poker Run to take place on the Lake weekend of October 10th 2009.

Our team and I have participated in most of these kinds of runs and their different incarnations on Lake George for the past seven years. We participate in multiple Poker Runs around the country every year and have a great time doing so.

Your decision will not affect our enjoyment of these events since I will more than likely send my boat and my crew in another location for that weekend.

A Poker Run weekend as such represents on my end expenses conservatively evaluated at $4,000 to $5,000 of which I can assure you at least 80% goes to the local establishments, namely hotels, restaurants, marinas, souvenir shops & many other local entities.

Seems your actions has deprived the local community of easily $250,000 to $350,000 in spending for what is known as a very calm weekend in your area I have been told. This conservative guess is from our group attending passed events on Lake George where easily 70-80 boats have been present from out of town.

Your area hosts Americade and a national car shows why are you singling out boaters? In these economic times I fail to see the wisdom in your Commission's decision but I am sure you have an ulterior motive that all the businesses who will suffer these losses will greatly appreciate.

As for us rest assure we will go somewhere else far from Lake George and spend those moneys anyway trying to help the country get back on track economically.

Have a great weekend on your sailboat.

Respectfully,

G.L. Harvie, President
Limestone Development LLC, Burlington, VT
Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GLH and those who where going to attend the run sorry to hear once again that NYS and it's political representatives have screwed things up again, they are famous for doing so as you already know how good they are at running this state.

I like your letter you are sending to the political shmucks.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think everyone should show up for an "Unsanctioned" "Fun Run"!!! Fuc**! the LGPC!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

There's always a bunch of over thinkers in office.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
I think everyone should show up for an "Unsanctioned" "Fun Run"!!! Fuc**! the LGPC!!!
Noooooooo. Baaadd idea..weve tried that. Nice Letter GL, hopefully everyone sends one
Old 09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy That sucks!

Maybe a change of venue is in order.

Frank
You know you want to... ;-)
Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
We did this last year and I was ticketed and kicked off the lake for the remainder of the weekend at 10 AM on Saturday. Went out on my brothers boat the next day and got kicked off the lake again...by the same cop. The look on his face when he saw me was priceless.

I'll stick to my 100 MPH skis to the sky runs on my sled this winter on LG. They ain't getting a dime from me this fall.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To bad I don't live closer, I think an organized parade of boats through the town on their way to somewhere else to contribute to the economy is in order. A couple laps through downtown, a few well versed and placed signs on the boats, might agitate the business owners enough that they toss the bums out... I feel sorry for the hotel, bar and restaurant owners who are already hurting from a slow summer..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear there's a big lake not too much farther north with out the bend over and take it in the ass dry regulations. I'm sure GL can point everyone in the right direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.