Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Plus your long and thin......so I've heard
Its hung like a tuna can my friend ask my girl
Old 09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might as well toss my 2cts worth into this chest thumping event. I think we got off track to the questions. First off I would definitly take a ride in a cat before buying one of any size. Theres good and bad points to every boat. Cats I found are great for speed and going straight. They take some getting used to in the turns especially at high speeds. As with any boat the bigger boat will take bigger chop. Outboards tend to be a little faster. Lighter and less HP lost in getting power to the props. Insurance now is another question. You might want to reasearch costs and availability. Some carriers will not even write you a policy being a first time cat owner and it could be more than you where expecting. Check it out before you buy. I almost had a boat I couldn't use, then I found a policy. Shop around. Others where right though, I don't see me going back to a "V" any time soon. Much smoother ride at cruising speeds. Side by side, with a "V" at the same speed, while the "V" might be getting tossed the "CAT" will be a much smoother ride. For what it's worth.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
are you for real??? maybe we need to understand your version of rough is.
Skater dave would you like me to give You some driving and throttling lessons
As I stated these were My Opinions and past experiences.
The water was not too rough only 3'-4'
coming from all directions. All I was stating is that it a 28 Skater can beat a 30' V in water besides calm.
For real rough water 8'-10' I would want a 41Apache!!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My .02 cents. I had a 26 foot velocity with twin outboards. Ran in the eighties every day, but you had to pay attention to run it fast and smooth. I have a 25 talon center pod cat. Anyone could drive it up to lift off. From 80 to 100+ boat flys literally. With the center pod it will turn on a dime at speed. Boat rides great . Very smooth. I am still learning about the boat and enjoying the experience.They are two diffrent boats. I suggest at least one of each.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My buddy has a 28 with 300X's. He originally had 2.5's and switched over to the 300's. We ran the boat in LI sound in "real" 3-4 footer and the boat is small for real conufused 3-4 footers. As agreed before any 30ft boat running hard in 3-4's your going to take a beating. Therefor I'd still have the cat cause in anything under, youll be hauling the mail! Also in rough water no 28 Skater is going to run with a high powered Outerlimits! We're going to give Kendall a ride in our 35 Motion to see what he thinks. A 28 Skater is a tiny boat compared to a 35 or 36ft cat though. In rough water the boat is just too small. For 3ft and under the boat is a blast. Just my .02
Old 09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have no first hand experience driving a cat but from what i have seen a 28-30' cat will outrun a 28-30' V in snotty water where you can get on top and lay into it. But, when the water really kicks up and you start launching the boat and can't really get on top of the waves, the V is going to do it's job and "split" the waves. Then I give the advantage to the V. Obviously being in BIG water in a 28-30 boat isn't a common occurrence for most of us.

Just what I have observed.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
My buddy has a 28 with 300X's. He originally had 2.5's and switched over to the 300's. We ran the boat in LI sound in "real" 3-4 footer and the boat is small for real conufused 3-4 footers. As agreed before any 30ft boat running hard in 3-4's your going to take a beating. Therefor I'd still have the cat cause in anything under, youll be hauling the mail! Also in rough water no 28 Skater is going to run with a high powered Outerlimits! We're going to give Kendall a ride in our 35 Motion to see what he thinks. A 28 Skater is a tiny boat compared to a 35 or 36ft cat though. In rough water the boat is just too small. For 3ft and under the boat is a blast. Just my .02
You are right a 28 skater is No comparison to a 35 Motion or a 36 Skater.
I never said it was a smooth easy ride in 3-4 , You have your hands FULL and it will beat the **** out of you. I usually go see my chiropacter after a day of hard running.My beating the "big " powered Outerlimits was a case of being in the "right water at the right time" and being able to out accelerate and stay ahead.
My next boat will be a 32B or a 36 with #6.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skaterdave
lets be realistic here, a 28 skater could never out run a 30' vee in big water unless your REALLY good on the sticks and running against average joe in his vee bottom.

vee's are alot more forgiving than a 28'. and honestly the longer the better for O/B cats. a 30 motion or spectre will out run a 28 unless its flat. the 28's are a handful in snotty water. they are however a blast for flat water agianst almost anything else.

the 28 is a serious boat and runs fast but there is little run for error compared to a vee. just keep in mind that if you miss judge a wave or something along those lines the consequences are probably going to alot worst in a 28 than a 30 vee.
Excellent post! This guy is 100% correct. In flat water or even a little chop these boats are unbeatable. However, they are very unforgiving. A 28 is quite a bit smaller than a 30 motion of 30 Spectre....they are also quite a bit faster in your average river water conditions. However 2' and above your not going to like the ride. I am talking real 2' waves....a lot of exaggerating around here.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
You are right a 28 skater is No comparison to a 35 Motion or a 36 Skater.
I never said it was a smooth easy ride in 3-4 , You have your hands FULL and it will beat the **** out of you. I usually go see my chiropacter after a day of hard running.My beating the "big " powered Outerlimits was a case of being in the "right water at the right time" and being able to out accelerate and stay ahead.
My next boat will be a 32B or a 36 with #6.
3-4's in our boat??? Real 3-4's? I dont know about that. YOu may have to take me for a ride too. I have a little more than 4 years in my boat and like I said under 2' the boat is incredible. I was out in 3-4's probably a tad bigger this past weekend.....I rode in my Dads 38 fountain with #6's. No way would I have wanted to be in my boat. It would have made it but not fast and especially not as fast as him.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamboater
3-4's in our boat??? Real 3-4's? I dont know about that. YOu may have to take me for a ride too. I have a little more than 4 years in my boat and like I said under 2' the boat is incredible. I was out in 3-4's probably a tad bigger this past weekend.....I rode in my Dads 38 fountain with #6's. No way would I have wanted to be in my boat. It would have made it but not fast and especially not as fast as him.
Come on down to South W. Fl this winter and we will go for a Ride Make sure your life Ins policy is up to date though
I maybe a little crazy, I love running in rough water and practicing Autorotations in Helicopters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.