Notices

29 Scarrab vs 29 Fountain

Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I would wait and get the 35 fountain,or something like it in that size range.there might be some close to the 65 or a little higher,Hold out.I would not do any mods to yours ,you'll be losing any money you put into it and it will hurt resale,allot of people don't want something thats been modified.take that 10k blower keep the money for your up grade to a bigger boat,and it doesn't stop there,you will be rebuilding the drive before next winter if ya go blower,

Ive been there, 1989 28 Scarab bought new kept it 12 years,left it alone 3 years and the throwing money started ,I spent well over 40k making a 62mph boat go 80.breaking Imco outdrives 2-3 times a year,finally decided to sell it.I kicked my ass for not selling before even if I just moved up to alittle bigger,I held out a year no boat,saved money,paid off all my dept,shopped for 8 months,then bought my Hustler,the best thing I ever did, Started out with a boat that went 80ish stock.I went 3 years enjoyed the shet out of it just maintenance no repairs.Then it started again Whipples and all the stuff ya have to go with it,then the endless drive breakage began again.To me its was worth it making a 80+ Hustler gain 25 MPH.

Think it thru,
Rob
Thanks for the feedback . As much as a 35' would be cool to have , I don't see one in the near future . Too big to store in my garage and two engines is gonna be too thirsty for my wallet . I'm gonna stick with single engine boat until I win the lottery or marry me a rich chick .
I talked to a local marine mechanic , he figures my xr drive will hold up to a stage 1 whipple setup . He claims he did a 29' Fever 3 years ago and has run 120+ hrs with no problems . He says I could expect to see top speeds in the high 70's with my 27' . You think his claims are legit ?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8luglogic
Thanks for the feedback . As much as a 35' would be cool to have , I don't see one in the near future . Too big to store in my garage and two engines is gonna be too thirsty for my wallet . I'm gonna stick with single engine boat until I win the lottery or marry me a rich chick .
I talked to a local marine mechanic , he figures my xr drive will hold up to a stage 1 whipple setup . He claims he did a 29' Fever 3 years ago and has run 120+ hrs with no problems . He says I could expect to see top speeds in the high 70's with my 27' . You think his claims are legit ?
I understand , How about holding out for a 29 with atleast 1 500efi? Im not famiure with the smaller Fountains, here on the lake There was a 29 Fountain with twin 500efi,ended up puting Pro Chargers on it.I remember them saying it didnt handle to well at top speed.

Take your time,dont jump into it.
Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I understand , How about holding out for a 29 with atleast 1 500efi? Im not famiure with the smaller Fountains, here on the lake There was a 29 Fountain with twin 500efi,ended up puting Pro Chargers on it.I remember them saying it didnt handle to well at top speed.

Take your time,dont jump into it.
Rob
I was considering moving up to a 29' to begin with . Thats how this thread started , was looking at a clean 29' Scarrab . From what I've read there's not much difference between the 27' & 29' Fountains and they are suposedly quicker hulls than the Scarrab . I'm guessing alot of the coments on here are posted by guys used to running big twin engine boats that handle the chop & high speeds well . My 27' Fountain is the biggest boat I've owned . My previous boat was a 24' Campion with 454mag ... handled like chit and felt sketchy over 50mph & maxed out at 60mph . Fountain is awesome by comparrison , feels slow & stable at 65-68 max speed . To me it feels like the boat needs more power to make it fun . To upgrade to a 29' Fountain would give me the extra room in the cockpit & cuddy but would the extra cost be worth it vs putting the Whipple on my 27' ? I'm looking at 12-15k cdn for the blower setup and an extra 20k-40k for a clean 29' with a 500 or 525 . Not many of these boats around up in the northwest . My 27' is paid for and I'm not really looking to get into a boat payment . Thanks for all the input !