Notices

A few stereo questions.

Old 04-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Intolerant1

Default A few stereo questions.

I'm about to get the boat out of storage and I have a to do list. I am replacing the stereo which died last time out. I picked up a Sony X-Plode head unit on clearance at Best Buy. Ordered a Sony compatable weather proof remote through Overtons made by Access Technologies. I have two 6" speakers in the cabin that I plan on running off the front channel of the head unit (rated at 54 watts per channel). I plan on running the front speakers in the cockpit off the rear channel of the head unit. I will likely use a set of seperates for these as they have to be mounted low and I can find a place up higher for the little tweeter. Ill need two amps for the rear. I'm thinking 6x9's under the rear seat with either a 10" sub which will just barley fit or two 8" subs.

My questions are what difference will I get running two 8" subs vs one 10" and can I run two 8"ers off one amp?
Can I mount the amps in the engine compartment. Its a huge compartment that doesnt get too hot with a single motor. I think the amp would run cooler than if its enclosed under a seat or elsewhere.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can mount the amp in the engine compartment just be carefull to find the coolest place. There is lots of air movement so that is actually not a bad place. DO NOT mound it upside down. You can run two subs off one channel but one off one and the other off the other is prefered in boats for temperature reasons. I would go with the single 10 over dual 8's. Also get a 4 channel amp and a 2 channel or a 5 channel amp and run all your speakers off amps. The head unit will not be able to keep up with amplified power at all, especially if you are going to have seperates.

Jon
Old 04-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Intolerant1

Thank Audio, I hoped you were lurking. I returned the head unit I talked to you about and found a clearance one with the remote input for $125, about half price. I think I'll run the cabin speakers off the head unit since they really never get much use and maybe one 4 channel for all the cockpit speakers and another for the sub. How can I turn off the cockpit speakers when in the cabin?Thanx again

Old 04-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I'll throw my 2 cents in...

Originally posted by Intolerant1
How can I turn off the cockpit speakers when in the cabin?Thanx again
I would run a toggle switch between the head unit and the amps, in-line with the remote turn on wire. That way, you could shut off the sub and component amps if needed, and use the fader.

I'm gonna disagree with my friend Audiofn on the amp placement. If I were to design an enviroment to kill an amp, it would be hot and humid, with limited ventilation...the engine compartment fills the bill.

If it were me, I would mount the amps in a cabin location, with cooling fans. The number one reason to mount amps in the engine compartment is laziness. It is much easier for an installer to bolt them there than remove upholstry, as well as run beefy wires on long runs.

I agree with Audiofn on the sub (did I just say that? ). Use a class D amp for the sub, as it will run cooler, with less current draw. I also agree with Audiofn on the head unit watts (WOW...2 times in one post... ). That little tiny amp in the head unit putting out 54 watts per channel? That must be the ILS* measurement...

*If Lightning Strikes
Old 04-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Havasue hear is my thought process on the amp location. I am sure you have gone into your cabin on a hot day and what do you find? Just as hot if not hotter then the engine bay. I have never mounted a amp in the engine bay more for reasons that I am afraid it will get damaged but not for heat reasons. Remember the outside of the engine in a boat stays fairly cool. I am willing to bet that the dark stripes on your cusions get hoter Of course you have special cream for the asses of all the hoties you seem to have around
Old 04-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Hotties?

Originally posted by Audiofn
Of course you have special cream for the asses of all the hoties you seem to have around...
Whooooaaaa...there buddy...this is a family show...

As for the engine bay, maybe because I boat in the heat, but my engine compartment gets cooking with just a couple vents...my cabin get air blowing through it...but to your point, when it's 110 in Havasu, lookout solder, wherever it's at...

I would be concerned with the heat + water. Even a little water in the bildge seems to find it's way into electronics, speakers, connections, etc. Have you noticed how things seem to rust faster under the hatch? Maybe it's just my boat...

Like I said in an earlier thread, the question is not whether it will work, but for how long...it's all about longevity...

Old 04-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

That is what she said
Old 04-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Registered

Definitely keep the amp away from the engine. Cabin heat can be disapated with a small cross flow fan for about $15. Generally, unless you are running many speakers off of one amp, the amp should get that hot. Most amps will protect themselves against termal damage with internal shutdown.

I still have many brand new Soundsteam, Orion, Earthquake amps and BAAB and Bazooka speakers and many others on a clearance sale. Many can be sold at twenty dollars over cost to OSO members.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:30 AM
FWK

Audiofn gave you some good recommendations. Clarion makes a decent set of marine seperates {+talk to audio about them} Stay away from amps the engine compartment. If a hose fails so will your amp. A 5 channel amp will do exactly what you are looking for. Do not load the amp down . I would also use a single 10 over 2 8's. Using a switch to shut down the amps is a good suggestion and is what I do for customers in their systems. Good Luck Forrest

Old 04-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Intolerant1

I have all the parts sitting in front of me. Just need to get the boat out of storage. The amp is a Sony Xplod 4 channel and is pretty large. I may have a problem finding a space to put it other than the engine bay but will try. Thanx for all the advice.