Notices

Stabill vs Seafoam

Old 10-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
How does anybody know both aren't "Snake Oil"? Some years we have added nothing to the fuel and not had any issues...winter down time has been mostly 7-8 mo.
I've had the same thing, some winters I add nothing, some years I put stabil in and haven't noticed a difference between the 2. Then again I only have a 60 gallon tank and the first few trips I baby it until I add fresh fuel anyway either way.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most modern fuel injection cars have a sealed fuel system, the tank is not vented therefore the aromatics in fuel can not escape. Most boat and carbureted systems are vented to the atmosphere and the fuel will degrade in as short a time as six months depending on the the storage conditions and vent size.

The alcohol in modern fuel is the first to go and causes bad corrosion in the process. I personally highly recommend stabil or similar and or draining the carb on anything that is going to sit more than six months.

I have lost count of the carbs I have had to remove and clean for friends
Old 10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
I put nothing in the gas. My fishboat has gas in it that is at least three years old. If it doesn't smelll like linseed oil, it's good to go. I sold my Formula with some three year old gas in it, and it had 10 to 1 compression. It started up, and ran fine. I think you are buying a bill of goods with additives in your gas, unless the bitter cold affects it. I also never understood changing the oil every spring. Oil doesn't just go bad by sitting. How long do you think oil is sitting on the shelf before you buy it?
I change it every fall before I put it away and it looks pretty dirty for the amount of hours I put on it. The only reason I do that is I don't want the contaminates to form sludge and coat my engine parts.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

It is changed in the spring for condensation, not oil degradation. I don't bother anymore. Mobil 1 is supposed to handle high moisture content, one good run to get it hot boils it out.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Also Stabill cleans injectors, I figure it can't hurt.