Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead

Notices

Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab Billy
This just sucks...a terrible shame when anyone dies in a crash no matter how it happens. My condolences to anyone involved. Trying to avoid things like this is when I depend on re-tracing my GPS line in the dark..at lower speeds in my case.

My GPS says its with in 50ft of the track.I don't trust them to be that accurate,Ive tested them during the day with channel markers its more that 50 foot.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived on Long Island from '99 to '05. I brought my 22' Crownline ski boat when we moved from Wisconsin/Illinois. We took one trip in the channel/intercoastal in that area and thru Great Soutn Bay by the Fire Islands. We went all the way from Islip to Jones beach area. That marking in that area is terrible. Local knowledge is a must. No consistency in where the red and green markers are placed. Sometimes in a staight line. After running aground 3 times in open water by missing the channel markers we never went there again. Fortunetly we were going slow and only wandered a few yards into the shallows and did no damage and just jumped out and pushed the boat back.

My condolences to the family and friends. Very sad.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Sad
Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems more than just running aground. I don't see all passengers getting ejected, even @ 60 mph. Injured yes, but not ejected. Maybe the operater tried to take evasive action to avoid the marsh causing the boat to hook and flip. The report said mud was on both sides of the boat. Or maybe another boat was involved, and action was taken to avoid collision in the channel resulting in a crash.

Regardess of what happened, it is a tradgedy.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know now if the boat was traveling in that short area between the northern most bridge (the small one) and the gas dock or went east thru the middle wantagh bridge then headed north through great channel? Just curious where they went off into the marsh.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Old 10-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Does anyone know now if the boat was traveling in that short area between the northern most bridge (the small one) and the gas dock or went east thru the middle wantagh bridge then headed north through great channel? Just curious where they went off into the marsh.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Looking at your map, east of the Goose Creek Bridge, follow the Great Island Channel north, past North Line Island, past The Run and the point of impact was the southwest tip of Goose Island
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 PM
CB
Registered

Gearge was a great guy and a very skilled boater from what I'm told and the speculations will be put to rest. The papers and all the nay sayers that don't understand need to keep their mouths shut and fingers off the keyboard. No one will ever know exactly what happened. I am going to tell you that it was just a horrific accident that will be blamed on conditions at the time, area , markers and time of day. What happened to make this happen ? Could the markers been an issue ?Could George have realized that he was already on the bottom and turned/jerked the wheel ? Like all of us have in a car or boat. It's a natural reaction to steer out of something. Don't forget it was an Arneson boat not a Bravo boat. Those surface drives behave differently than Bravos, kinda like a non stepped versus a stepped hull.
After this was he ejected from the boat ???? No speed issue ! No alcohol issue ! Why would a responsible man act in an irresponsible manner with family and friends ? Because he didn't !!! A very sad thing. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and their friends. May they rest in peace and may the others get well fast .
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CB
Gearge was a great guy and a very skilled boater from what I'm told and the speculations will be put to rest. The papers and all the nay sayers that don't understand need to keep their mouths shut and fingers off the keyboard. No one will ever know exactly what happened. I am going to tell you that it was just a horrific accident that will be blamed on conditions at the time, area , markers and time of day. What happened to make this happen ? Could the markers been an issue ?Could George have realized that he was already on the bottom and turned/jerked the wheel ? Like all of us have in a car or boat. It's a natural reaction to steer out of something. Don't forget it was an Arneson boat not a Bravo boat. Those surface drives behave differently than Bravos, kinda like a non stepped versus a stepped hull.
After this was he ejected from the boat ???? No speed issue ! No alcohol issue ! Why would a responsible man act in an irresponsible manner with family and friends ? Because he didn't !!! A very sad thing. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and their friends. May they rest in peace and may the others get well fast .
Amen. Very well put.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
People need to wake up, all this does is give us powerboaters a bad name, pretty soon there wil be no need to have a high performance boat on our water ways, we can't get on plane at such low speeds, the party barges will be passing us...Let us just hope and pray that the others will pull through and tell the whole story, but 150mph in the middle of the night is nuts...
Dam bro thats a little rough!! Think about this 42,000 to 43,000 people die in car accidents every year thats one person died every 12 to 15 minutes 24 hrs a day..Does that give auto drivers a bad name. Bottom line shi*t happens.
My thoughts and prayers go to all friends and family!!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CB
Why would a responsible man act in an irresponsible manner with family and friends ? Because he didn't !!! A very sad thing. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and their friends. May they rest in peace and may the others get well fast
+1

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 10-07-2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spelign

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.