Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead >

Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead

Notices

Long Island Boating accident tonight:2 dead

Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Sad to hear RIP i saw them out about 5 in copiaque going west,driving normally in the channel. tripps
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People need to wake up, all this does is give us powerboaters a bad name, pretty soon there wil be no need to have a high performance boat on our water ways, we can't get on plane at such low speeds, the party barges will be passing us...Let us just hope and pray that the others will pull through and tell the whole story, but 150mph in the middle of the night is nuts...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does some one know the top speed of this boat so that we can put it to rest. I doubt it went 100 never mind 150!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
150mph in the middle of the night is nuts...
Huh??? And that right there is the completely inaccurate information that breeds heresay and speculation.

Acknowledge your condolences to those involved, and leave the investigating and reporting up to the authorities.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to say what happened in this one. But the owner of Hustler that sold him the boat, said it was a diesel model with a top end in the 60's. I think the 150 mph figure was a misprint or error in the news. He sounded like a pretty responsible guy, so who knows? Accidents actually really happen.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Does some one know the top speed of this boat so that we can put it to rest. I doubt it went 100 never mind 150!
"Joe Logiudice, owner of Hustler Powerboats in Calverton, said he built the boat about 10 years ago and sold it to Canni, who he has known for 40 years. Logiudice said the boat was a diesel boat that wasn't that fast, with a top speed of 60 to 65.

Calling Canni a "meticulous and careful" boater, Logiudice said he was stunned by the accident and couldn't understand how it could happen.

"I can't get my hands around it," Logiudice said. "They've gone that way a hundred times. He knew the area and he knew the boat."
Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SAR skipper
Very sad

This is what I can't understand? If conditions are so bad, then why so fast?

On the other hand, the skipper was in his 60's according to reports. Possible he was dead prior to the crash and powered up when he slumped over?
My theory is the same, he had a seizure, slumped on the throttle and rammed the marsh. It's just a theory, I'm gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt until the Popo's findings, especially given the quote from Hustler. The are a few survivors but who knows if they were paying attention to say what happened. Just plain suxs :-(
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Hard to say what happened in this one. But the owner of Hustler that sold him the boat, said it was a diesel model with a top end in the 60's. I think the 150 mph figure was a misprint or error in the news. He sounded like a pretty responsible guy, so who knows? Accidents actually really happen.
The news report I read which I believe was misread by most stated at the end of the article that the boat was made for racing and they have a boat in their lineup that reached speeds in excess of 150 (or something to that effect. I'll look for it)

Edit, quoted from article

"Frohnhoefer said the speedboat that crashed was built for racing.

Hustler, the Calverton, N.Y.-based company that built the boat, has a model capable of reaching speeds over 150 mph."
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered

I grew up boating in that exact area , that marsh was part of what we called "the four corners". Had a few nieghbors who ran high and dry in that area in a fog, didnt hit the marsh, but at a regular high tide, you get close before you hit the mud. One of the problems over there was that there was a decent sized gap betwen the red buoy before the south side of the marsh and the next red buoy to the north side of the marsh, and there was no buoy in front of the marsh. They may have dropped another one in since last time I was in that area several years ago, but I remember having marked on a chart to stay left towards the green bouys when coming home at night.

if it wasnt a health failure, mechanical failure and alchohol wasnt involved, then I subscribe to my friends theory that he was probably racing home trying to beat the sun going down, misread the buoys and marshes (there are two marshes there with a cut between them that you can head through at high tide and avoid a 5 mph zone), turned to soon, didnt realize it till it was too late and went up on the marsh.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by elvisali
I grew up boating in that exact area , that marsh was part of what we called "the four corners". Had a few neighbors who ran high and dry in that area in a fog, didn't hit the marsh, but at a regular high tide, you get close before you hit the mud. One of the problems over there was that there was a decent sized gap between the red buoy before the south side of the marsh and the next red buoy to the north side of the marsh, and there was no buoy in front of the marsh. They may have dropped another one in since last time I was in that area several years ago, but I remember having marked on a chart to stay left towards the green buoys when coming home at night.

if it wasn't a health failure, mechanical failure and alcohol wasn't involved, then I subscribe to my friends theory that he was probably racing home trying to beat the sun going down, misread the buoys and marshes (there are two marshes there with a cut between them that you can head through at high tide and avoid a 5 mph zone), turned to soon, didn't realize it till it was too late and went up on the marsh.
Isn't marsh mud and weeds? not like hitting a solid object. I would think that would be a gradual stop?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.