Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Keeping 29 cat on a lift / Flush salt water after every use? >

Keeping 29 cat on a lift / Flush salt water after every use?

Notices

Keeping 29 cat on a lift / Flush salt water after every use?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keeping 29 cat on a lift / Flush salt water after every use?

So I've never lift kept a boat and am looking at renting a home that has one. I would like to flush it after every use and keep her high and dry. Keeping it in the water behind the home is not an option.

Questions is.... Most lifts I see have adjustable bunks on them. You guys think that I would be able to even get it on a non 100% custom built for this boat lift. Obviously 99% of these homes that I'm looking at with lifts currently have v's on them. Any suggestions would be great. The realtors don't seem to have any idea nor do the owners of the homes.

Also, do you guys flush after every use? I've never been in the salt before and am not familair with salt running. I'm assuming it should be done after every run?!?!?!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by hotstang46
So I've never lift kept a boat and am looking at renting a home that has one. I would like to flush it after every use and keep her high and dry. Keeping it in the water behind the home is not an option.

Questions is.... Most lifts I see have adjustable bunks on them. You guys think that I would be able to even get it on a non 100% custom built for this boat lift. Obviously 99% of these homes that I'm looking at with lifts currently have v's on them. Any suggestions would be great. The realtors don't seem to have any idea nor do the owners of the homes.

Also, do you guys flush after every use? I've never been in the salt before and am not familair with salt running. I'm assuming it should be done after every run?!?!?!
Most Salt Water boaters who care about their equipment flush with Salt-A-Way (or a similiar product) every time out.....
Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yes flush and wash everything after every use, done for the weekend that is but if you can get it after every use that would be better. The less time you have salt in there the better period, it all adds up. When we race in salt and brackish water it takes about an hour or two to go over the boat and flush everything then another half day when were back in Michigan (thats how long it takes Julie to clean it that is ).
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 10-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

well that's what I thought. That even further impresses upon me that I need a lift behind the house capable of taking the boat up out of the water. I hope that I'm write in thinking that a lift for a v hull can be easily reconfigured for a cat.

hoping someone chimes in with some experience.....
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotstang46
well that's what I thought. That even further impresses upon me that I need a lift behind the house capable of taking the boat up out of the water. I hope that I'm write in thinking that a lift for a v hull can be easily reconfigured for a cat.

hoping someone chimes in with some experience.....
Yes they can. Easily? No. I had to change mine around, that was built for my fountain, to accomadate my sundancer and it was a PITA. Your going to be adding lots of hardware to help center the boat and lift it correctly. What is going to make it hard is doing it in the water and all the trial and error to make it fit. Have the lift pulled out and set up correctly with input from the lift co and force.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 10-07-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most cats are meant to be supported by the area in the tunnel. V hull supports are not high enough to raise them and support them that way. The bunks have to raised in most cases to keep the hull from hitting the supports on the lift. NOT EASY!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered

well jeesh....I may be jumping through hoops being this is going to be a rental. We're going to try the area before we buy..... i wish those rack storage marinas would flush everytime for you. Doesn't seem i'm going to find an easy solution here. I really really wanted a home that I could keep the boat behind. I want to avoid storage with me towing to a ramp everytime I want to put her in....

Last edited by hotstang46; 10-07-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have a strainer and an intake valve, just shut the intake water off and flush through the strainer. That doesn't help you get the boat out of the water, but you get the engine flushed.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TxHawk
If you have a strainer and an intake valve, just shut the intake water off and flush through the strainer. That doesn't help you get the boat out of the water, but you get the engine flushed.
Hey that is a very helpful suggestion for the flushing. Thank you very much. I'm not by the boat right now....as I haven't taken final delivery yet....but I will check with the manufact.

thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 05:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

definitely flush it everytime you come back, (if you are running in Saltwater) Reconfiguring a bunk system on a lift can be done, I've had to do it 3 times now, all for different v-bottoms, but we also own our homes on the water, so I can justify it, on a rental, it don't know.............
Good luck.
Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.