Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat sat for a year...what to expect? >

Boat sat for a year...what to expect?

Notices

Boat sat for a year...what to expect?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat sat for a year...what to expect?

I'm buying a 1980 27' Excalibur that has been sitting most of this year. I don't think it's been in the water at all since about August 2008...maybe longer. I've talked to the previous owners and all was reported to be in great working order other than the motor...which is no longer an issue since we're going with a new 502 to be installed.

1. Motor will be new - shouldn't be any worries there
2. TRS drive hasn't been wet in a year (or more)
3. Obviously the shift cables, BW trans, throttle cable, etc... haven't been worked in that time either

I expect to have the lower unit fluid changed, but is there any other preventative maintenance that is a "must do"?
Bilge pump will be replaced/new as well.

With the carbed 502, upgraded intake, carb, stainless marine dry exhaust, and cam upgrade...can I expect to get in the low 70s, or am I being too optomistic?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just check through things. You can pull your some gas out and check it out. I started up mine after 10 years of sitting and all we did was pull out the fuel, new batteries, fluids, water pumps and bam fired it up.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered

Oh yeah...I hadn't even thought about the gas yet. That might need to be drained and filled with fresh gas.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KSims1868
Oh yeah...I hadn't even thought about the gas yet. That might need to be drained and filled with fresh gas.
yes do that, what carb, cam ,intake do you have, if your 500hp or more I would try a 25, 27 mirage with a trs cause there deep in the water. would think 72 to 76. art
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Empty fuel tank and fill with fresh fuel. Install new filter. Then replace fuel filter after a couple hours of lake time since any debris in tank will be shaken loose and caught by filter.

Then have fun !!!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

1) Yes with the ethanol, remove the gas use a stabilizer when refilling to take out any other moisture.
2) All fuel filters.
3) Change oil and drive oil "change oil filter"
4) Grease fittings on drive.
5) Check belts, cables, CRC cables.
6) If it has a distributer cap, check for moisture if not bad clean and CRC inside, if bad with green on poles "Change it"
7) Check battery or batteries on a load test, check grounds and leads to make sure there is no green from sitting, If there is white or green corrosion "Remove and clean with a brush.
8) Check all hoses and make sure they are solid with no cracks or splits, check hose clamps.
9) Check bilge pump and float.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered
VIP Member

You're a boater so you know the deal, do everything exactly perfect and then theirs only about 200 other things to go wrong. Oh I'm sorry, that's on a 2 year old boat. I hate to sound so negative, but facts are facts. With all my venting done, I've been boating my whole life and will do so til the day I die, ( unless I'm a drooling fool in my old age )
Old 10-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Registered

You swapped out cams? which one did you go with on the carbed engine? Is it still a roller?