Pros and cons of prochargeing my 540 >

Pros and cons of prochargeing my 540

Notices

Pros and cons of prochargeing my 540

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of prochargeing my 540

Im thinking about putting injection and a procharger on my 540 but i dont want to have any reliability problems.Thanx for any info
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Mixed answer here for you with my experience. I put a Livorsi Vortech system on my stock 502. Bad news: blew a head gasket and a couple Bravo 1 drives. Good news: went from 64 to 80 gps, after an XR drive and rebuilding the motor the correct way I never had another problem. If I were to do it again I wouldn't hesitate as long as you keep the boost low. On a self-serving note I took the system off before I traded the boat in and would make you a great offer for sale. It was fuel injected and the computer remapped which is something you would have to get done to maintain reliability.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build your own fuel system & don't rely on anything out of a box for a tune. Have it done in the boat & on a dyno.
If you like breaking drives, you are in luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whipple!! Definately dyno tune!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Just realize that there is no such thing as a kit. You will need to purchase parts and do things above and beyond what you get from Procharger. You will need to upgrade the fuel system in the boat. You will also need the engine built to handle the boost. That means good valves, head gaskets, etc. If you half-ass it, it will bite you. Do it once and do it right. Give me a shout if I can help in any way.
Eddie
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Whipple!! Definately dyno tune!
I don't want to high jack the tread but what are the pros and cons of procharger systems over traditional roots type blowers?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

I had a procharger on my 500 efi. I sold it off and I am now in process of building a 700HP 540. Prochargers can be reliable if you rig the entire system. Install a new high flow fuel system with larger lines,pumps,injectors and filter. Larger oil cooler and the best head gaskets you can find. If you run exhaust temp gauges and monitor them you will pretty much never blow it up. The problem with supercharger systems is that they claim you just bolt on all that horsepower and go. If you bolt it on without doing the other things I mentioned, you will have problems. Jeff Wurl
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered

Whipple charge looks better setting on the motor

The procharge is a littler noiser
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Registered

If the Whipple takes a dump all the metal goes in the motor. On a procharger self contained (oil), if it goes the blower blades are caught by the intercooler so no metal gets to the motor. The intercooler can be cleaned, 60$
Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scarab+
If the Whipple takes a dump all the metal goes in the motor. On a procharger self contained (oil), if it goes the blower blades are caught by the intercooler so no metal gets to the motor. The intercooler can be cleaned, 60$
Been there!

Young Performance here did my 540 Procharger Combo. Set up right it will make tons of power and live. Mine hits pretty good.

Eddie is right. Nothing is really just a kit. I started with one. It worked ok on my 502 but his setup on my 540 is great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.