Notices

Bravo drives

Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a house on the water in Sag Harbor all my life. Owned a water ski boat a few jet skis ( back when they were Stand Ups) an some sail boats, but when I sold my boat I said the next boat I buy I am going Big. So I am thinking 35- 38 Cigarette but am open to suggestions. I want something that I can take off to Block Island or Montauk no problem.
I do take care of my equipment but I am very hard on it so that's why
I am asking a lot of questions about the drives and motors.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#6 nxt with 700 is a very good set up I have built a few boats with bravo set ups and have got some what satisfactory reliability, but you said you dont take care of your boats the 700 package with the upgraded #6 is hard to break and if anything is going wrong the gardian system shuts everything down before you break
Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
600 hp is going to be very much the limit on B1 or an XR, if you are trying to have trouble free boating. Teague and Imco make parts and whole drives to make them stronger. If you are boating on a lake or small river where the water is flat and the boat is not in an out of the water the drives are going to live longer but if your boating in big water with 600hp and XR drives sooner more than later your going to have a problem, you are going to need to be real good on the sticks.

Jassman here has built a few boats in the past and his last he went with the 700sci with the NXT trans but the #6 drive that was pretty much a bullet proff setup. At the time of that build there was some problems with the NXT drive popping up here and there thats why I think he went with the #6.
Thats is exactly right. The NXT was out about a year, and a few boat builders were experiencing some failures. Come to find out the the set up was wrong, different then the bravo's, x-dimension was set to high, and the bullet of the drive needed to be modified slightly cause there was too much transom lift. I put on over 100 hours on that set up, it was flawless, and made boating enjoyable. The boat when new went just under 93 with the props it was set up with. Loved the boat, and now that the bugs have been worked out. I would not hesitate going with the NXT drive vs the #6 lower. It will save approx 16k per side. It is rated for 800hp, and the 700s are dynoing approx 770hp. Just respect your equipment getting on plane and over rollers, and you'll enjoy the set up. good luck. Jeff
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TURBO JET
I have had a house on the water in Sag Harbor all my life. Owned a water ski boat a few jet skis ( back when they were Stand Ups) an some sail boats, but when I sold my boat I said the next boat I buy I am going Big. So I am thinking 35- 38 Cigarette but am open to suggestions. I want something that I can take off to Block Island or Montauk no problem.
I do take care of my equipment but I am very hard on it so that's why
I am asking a lot of questions about the drives and motors.
Older Cig's are cool boats but any non step 35-38 Cig is not a fast boat with 400-600 hp (per motor). Upper 60's to upper 70's. There are also some not as old boats out there with #5 drives. I had them on my Nortech with over 800hp and never had a problem. There is a 37 Outerlimits with #5's here http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o30686-en.html this looks like a real good deal but I feel too much for anybodys first big go fast. When you find a boat you like post a link or a picture and there is a good chance somebody here knows about the boat and can provide info.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out some of the older Cigs.. do a search.. they are putting ASD-7's drives on them. Great drive hard to blow up.. good for approx 900-1000 hp.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Has anyone ever tried this conversion?
http://www.arneson-industries.com/pa...ravoConversion
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jassman
Check out some of the older Cigs.. do a search.. they are putting ASD-7's drives on them. Great drive hard to blow up.. good for approx 900-1000 hp.
I have seen these on boats and I know they are strong but why don't I see more of them out there. Is it the cost? #6's are expensive so what are the advantages an disadvantages .
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Registered

i imagine those could make docking interesting........
Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by paul235
i imagine those could make docking interesting........
The ASD's?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Registered

yea im bad enough at it as it is...just slap one of those puppies on and ill really hit some ****

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.