Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When is a boat to big to use by yourself? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/218729-when-boat-big-use-yourself.html)

FuelinAround 10-18-2009 08:28 PM

I take my 30SS on the river by myself alot....usually put it in and pull up to the dock while im waiting for everyone to get there....When leaving the intoxicated girls are no help so I once again tie up, get my truck, back it in, and then pull her on.

Interceptor 10-18-2009 09:05 PM

The only problem I've had is loading the boat onto the trailer. If the ramp is steep the stern can swing and wind is your enemy also. I have a pair of rollers on each side of my trailer to help hold the hull and to center the hull onto the trailer as I pull up the ramp.
ed

Waterboy123 10-18-2009 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 2975273)
Insurance prices may set your size!!! Then it depends on your the size of your balls! :eek: If you have never owned a cat before insurance is going to be a mofo.. Good Luck :D

Thats one up side to living in Australia, these types of boat (big cats) are virtually non-exsistent, so fortunately they don't have the same insurance "reputation" that they do in the US, speaking with my broker, it made not a difference between a 40ft Vee or Cat, assuming same power/value

I have alot of seat time in smaller high powered hulls, my last boat was a 21ft Deep Vee, with twin 300X Merc's that ran north of 110mph, figure if I can master that I will get there with a cat!!

I have spent a few hours in a 28 Skater O/B and absolutely loved the ride, can only imagine it improves with size.

LostinBoston 10-19-2009 03:34 PM

A good trailer with tunnel guides and a good ramp, little cross current and wind and a 36' cat is not too hard by yourself. Of course a too short too steep ramp with a strong current or wind, no good dock to tie up while getting the trailer and too many people cutting you off will make it very difficult.

BLee 10-19-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Waterboy123 (Post 2975165)
Thanks guys, I am leaning towards a 36-40ft Skater, which there is not a chance it will go in a rack (too long, too wide) the ramp I would use is fairly steep, but triple wide with no divider and very quiet, (in the back of a marina so very calm)

I am assuming the type of boat makes a difference? how do the bigger cat's handle at docking speed's with 6's I assume with the engines being at extreme edges of the boat, they are fairly maneuverable?

I suppose worst case I can get the marina to use the travelift to take it on and off, but don't want to be at there beck and call all the time along with the assoc fees ($200 in, $200 out)

cheers

I have a 368 Skater, and it's easy to get it on & off the trailer, especially since the trailer has stairs between the front sponsons. You can run back & forth if you need to MUCH easier with the stairs. The biggest pain is finding a wide enough slip close by to leave the boat while your truck sits in the middle of the ramp, since it was much wider just a few minutes before! Once you're tied up, there's the problem on some Poker Run lakes dealing with getting the truck & trailer parked in a lot that was designed for Wakeboard & Bass Boats as well. :eek::drink:

As mentioned before, tying up is no problem if you just sit in neutral and get everything ready to go before you pull up to the dock.

Quinlan 10-19-2009 05:03 PM

I have done it a few times w the TOP GUN. Not to bad when BOTH drives are working!!!

J.B. Marshall 10-19-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE (Post 2974916)
I used my 386 sonic by myself all summer.

That's so sad