Notices

Boat shopping help

Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Drive the boats that you want to buy. Many of the boats ride differently, even the same brand. Depends on setups, drive heights, props, power, steering. To many factors. Don't think the boats can be summed up in one paragraph. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A few facts:

I only played with the step on 2 boats after the #1 AVH. Everything else has a 4" tall step. I brought it down to 3" on the 700 NXT #3 boat. I feel it enhanced the ride at 100.

Harry Schoell designed the DDC bottom specifically for the AT. You just don't take it and copy it and throw it in the next boat. Hence the Challenger and the AT are uncomparable.

As far as cornering or handling, I'll chase your v-bottom around any corner you can find. Sorry, let me re-phrase that. You can try and chase my step-bottom around any corner I can find.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, discussing boats is like discussing any piece of machinery, everyone likes something different. Anyway im glad to see all the info, and the discussion. I have been out of boating for some time, although i have been browsing for a couple years. Its nice to hear feedback from people that acutually use them, get some ideas on likes and dislikes, or heads up on any problems certian brands/years have. I have never driven a step hull boat, but from what i gather it just takes common sense/know the limits of your gear/your own skills. I have driven everything from golf carts to gravel trains, boats from rowboats to cruisers, and used to fly airplanes, so i can figure out just about anything Hopefully in a couple weeks ill have looked at some more boats and narrowed down the field.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
LOL I did.
FYI
Baja's.. light, relatively fast,, economical "Chevy's " of the water. Won't take the pounding on the Big Pond too long.
Fountains.. Ditto. A bit better built.. but too many out there. A dime a Doz. (sort of speak) and just forget about the beak. Just reduce about 2' from "claimed" size. Many has stringer and delamination issues.
Donzi... Good boats. Depands on the year.. jelcoat and fiber glass issues. Same with Scarabs.
Formula.. a bit heavy but great huls and boat. Need lots of HP to get them going.
AT.. Cultic.. good boats...Single step.. Depands on year step varies. Can get a bit tricky to hande.
Sonic... Great hull.. Deep "V" good rough water.. not the fastest hull around.
Hustlers.. well built boats.. Slingshot is pretty dafe to upper 90's. OK headroom.. Good choise.
Cigs.. Northtecs. OL's etc.. great hulls.. good boats.. Planty of $'s too.
Velocities,.. OK bot no headroom.. a bit strange deck design.
Powerquest,... OK hull.. heavy... good headroom... a bit slow for the HP's.Steps are worthless.
Power play.. OK boats.. over rated,, due to limited production...
Nordic... Pretty decent overall stuff.
And a bunch of other are hit and miss.
Now you got the boat market 101 , have fun shopping.. just remember... every one will tell you what THEY like. Select what YOU like, for YOUR use.

(I'm ready for the chit I will get after this. but it seems that every time there is a "boat buyer" inquery.. no one is being objective.)
I agree with a lot of that, thx
Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Registered

for you guys pushing sunsation, whats the scoop on the innovator? looks like more freeboard and room than the older dominator. idk if the flip up dash to the cabin would work but they seem to be priced right these days so any info?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
for you guys pushing sunsation, whats the scoop on the innovator? looks like more freeboard and room than the older dominator. idk if the flip up dash to the cabin would work but they seem to be priced right these days so any info?
The innovator hull is the same hull as the 32SS/SSR; I think the only difference is the deck. The flip up dash to enter the cabin awkward to say the least, but great running boat. I think there is a few for sale online. I have personally seen the one for sale from Highway Marine. Nice boat.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a real nice 38 sonic for sale on Ebay with 3 500hps in your price range
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Nearly impossible to get financed on trips right now and the insurance on trips is much higher.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
Nearly impossible to get financed on trips right now and the insurance on trips is much higher.
It's nearly impossible to get financing on any high performance boat now.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I know there os more free board like the new s,ss,ssr than the older dominator. Call the factory for more information 1-810-794-4888 they will point you in the right direction on the innovator. I dont' know much about them. But i can tell you Sunsation will be more than happy to assist you in you search... Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.