Notices

Boat shopping help

Old 10-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boat shopping help

I am still boat shopping and looking for input/help. Looking in the 30-33' range. The boats im currently looking at are 33powerplay, 30 cig mystique, 33zx donzi, 31ss sonic. I also have seen some 28panteras and 28zx scorpions that i really like the looks of, could go that way. I just dont have the time to travel the country to go see all the boats i like, have one trip planned end of the month to see a couple of them, but need some opinions/input. Priorities are ride quality to handle the great lakes, enough room to overnight, good freeboard to keep the wife and kids feeling safe, solid build quality, speed 70+. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by hotjava66; 10-18-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before we can give you any input, you probably need to narrow it down to 2 or 3 choices yourself and then get input. You don't mention price or year which will have to factor in there somewhere. Without getting into brand specifics, IMO, a 28 is too small for overnights.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know a few guys with 31 Sonics and while they handle the great lakes fine and they are probably about the fastest on your list, but not tons of room for overnighting because of the low headroom. But one night at a time probably wouldn't be horrible.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Registered

i was thinking about the 28's just because im thinking a 31-33 would be marginal for overnight anyway so might as well save the $ for hotel rooms. i want to be big enough to travel the lakes though, but small enough to get into some of the inland lakes i really like so i think 35+ would be too big. looking at newer than 2000, i want something turn key, low maintanance. most of the boats im looking at are under 90k thats about my limit, but would like to spend less than that. most of my use would be day use with maybe a trip per season, and a couple overnighters if needed
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

With the boats mentioned the Powerplay will be the best handling boat, the donzi will be the best room in the cabin. That being said I will have my PP 33 for sale very soon which is a very customized. I also have children that I take out every weekend durning the summer and never really have to worry about the water condtions. Do your self a favor and search PP about the build quality and ride you will not be disapointed.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja27
With the boats mentioned the Powerplay will be the best handling boat, the donzi will be the best room in the cabin. That being said I will have my PP 33 for sale very soon which is a very customized. I also have children that I take out every weekend durning the summer and never really have to worry about the water condtions. Do your self a favor and search PP about the build quality and ride you will not be disapointed.
Right now it is what im leaning towards, unfortunatly i just got a line on one, but already made reservations to go look at some of the others listed, hoping to go see it as well soon. i really need to see one in person, see what kind of cabin room they have. the only other boat on my list ive looked at in person is the 33donzi, my wife really liked the room in it, i liked it but its not my absolute fav looks/performance wise. have heard nothing but praise for pp, hard to find one for sale, must be a great boat no one wants to part with
Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If your looking at 30-35 ft my first choice would be a 33 Powerplay, 35 Cig topgun/playboy but to be honest any boat of this size is uncomfortable to overnight is it possible yes. 30 ft and under 28 Pantera

Mike
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I am still boat shopping and looking for input/help. Looking in the 30-33' range. The boats im currently looking at are 33powerplay, 30 cig mystique, 33zx donzi, 31ss sonic. I also have seen some 28panteras and 28zx scorpions that i really like the looks of, could go that way. I just dont have the time to travel the country to go see all the boats i like, have one trip planned end of the month to see a couple of them, but need some opinions/input. Priorities are ride quality to handle the great lakes, enough room to overnight, good freeboard to keep the wife and kids feeling safe, solid build quality, speed 70+. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sounds like your describing a Sunsation 32SS/SSR Dominator. Ride quality is excellent, plenty of freeboard and with a full head, plenty of room and amenities in the cabin for an overnight stay. Not to mention with stock 496hos, the boat will run low 80s all day long.
Good luck with your search; maybe you should expand your search to Sunsation before you make a decision.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Have a look at Sunsation for sure before you buy anything. There are some nice ones listed in the classifieds right now.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
Have a look at Sunsation for sure before you buy anything. There are some nice ones listed in the classifieds right now.
i looked at some dominators, 01-04 range, liked the look, quality, speed but not the low freeboard and the minimal cabin headroom, i havent seen the ss yet, but i believe they are 06 and newer? all those i have seen advertised are a bit out of my price range, if one gets in my ballpark i would def. look at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.