Notices

spun prop

Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spun prop

I thought I spun a prop last weekend. Problem was the hubs are solid so it isn't possible without a lot of noise and damage. A mechanic at the marina said that in 20 years he had never seen a Bravo 1 with a slipping clutch. He though maybe (big maybe) I had some debris on the prop, or that the shift linkage wasn't properly adjusted. I had just gone about 15 miles at 50 MPH and was coming out of a no wake zone when I had the problem so I am thinking that the linkage is probably not the problem. Any thought would be appreciated
Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
I thought I spun a prop last weekend. Problem was the hubs are solid so it isn't possible without a lot of noise and damage. A mechanic at the marina said that in 20 years he had never seen a Bravo 1 with a slipping clutch. He though maybe (big maybe) I had some debris on the prop, or that the shift linkage wasn't properly adjusted. I had just gone about 15 miles at 50 MPH and was coming out of a no wake zone when I had the problem so I am thinking that the linkage is probably not the problem. Any thought would be appreciated
After it spun out where you able to get it on plane and run like normal, if you had gotten into some duckweed, it would take alot around the nose to make it spin out, you better pull your drive and check the clucth shaft and bearings, I blow clutch shafts all the time, go to get on plane and bam it all over with.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Clutch On A Bravo , You Talking About The Cone Clutch?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

The only thing a clutch on a bravo drive does is allow it shift into and out of gear. It does not slip. Chances are you caviated the prop and it was just blowing out/spinning without grabbing water. This could be caused by small amounts of debris in just the right/wrong places.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
rjr
Registered

It acted like the props on Alpha drives. It would pull to about 2500 RPM and then let go.

Is it possible the coupler is bad? There was no noise or vibration.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Bad coupler would show by burning rubber smell and lots of rubber dust inside the transom assembly behind the engine.

Is it possible you dinged the prop? It takes very little to completely change the characteristics
Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
It acted like the props on Alpha drives. It would pull to about 2500 RPM and then let go.

Is it possible the coupler is bad? There was no noise or vibration.
Sounds like simple prop blow out to me.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Registered

I had this happen last summer. We changed over from the rubber inner to the solid inner and the problem went away but you've already done that.

I was told it's really hard for the cone clutch to slip and you would definitely smell it.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Sounds like simple prop blow out to me.
especially if the drive was trimmed out a little and the tabs were up.....
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
rjr
Registered

turned out to be a linkage problem. Good thing, because there is NO rubber between the prop and the motor. Since I didn't hear any bad noises I didn't think it was serious but you never know