Notices

Wave Crusher

Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wave Crusher

Ok I have a Formula 223ls that we boat in lake mead regular. Most Ive seen in late afternoon is 3-4 on windy 5-6 footers.. The 223ls deep V handels it fine so far but rough on everyone on boat.. Im looking at a Formula 311 but also eye ballin cigs. I want 2 bbc and over 65. CUDDY.I want to be able to fly threw the 4,5,and 6 footers as needed on my way to dock.

Last edited by BiLLyLaurianO; 10-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered

You'll need a much bigger boat than a 31 to handle 4-6 footers....
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
TCG
Registered
Platinum Member

True 5-6 footers are tall, I would think maybe trying to fly on the tops of them (if you can time it -size wise) might be better.
I guess it also depends on if they are rollers or tall and close together.
I'd say a deep v as long as you can afford, or a Big Cat.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

3-4 or even 5-6 on Lake Mead??? This is a joke right?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 311 Formula, as well as a 28 Cigarette, and two Cigarette 38 Top Guns.

There is ZERO comparison between the 311 Formula & the Cigarettes in ANY conditions, because the Cig's are a 100% tougher, better built offshore boat.

The 311 will start to have things like the windsheid, the plexyglass counters, mirrors, grab bars, & in some cases the headliner in the cabin, all rattle & can come loose. At the time, I used my 311 solely on a lake as well, and we never get anything on the lake over 5ft, if that....unless it's a cruiser wake. It was a great boat, tons of fun, but it wasn't an offshore class boat, and it showed over time.

The Cigarette's did not have the problems I mentioned above, and I used them in the lake, as well as the ocean. Their handles, counter tops, & other "ammenities" are secured MUCH better. They do not have a windsheild to come loose, and their hatches are flush mounted, as well as made from the same material as the boat. Their railing is better secured, cleats, and the overall rigging in the engine room had double the mounts, through bolts, etc that the Formula had.

I have MANY friends that own 31ft & 35ft Cigarettes all over the country, who boat on both lakes & the ocean, and enjoy every minute of it. They are made specifically for rough water environments, and it shows in their ability to hold up over time. Anything they won't handle, is stuff you likely wouldn't be boating in that day anyway.

Go with the Cigarette, any size!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
3-4 or even 5-6 on Lake Mead??? This is a joke right?

It happens......but you shouldn't be out there. Winds can pop up to a constant 35-40Mph....with gusts to 55-60Mph. I've been out there with some big wind and almost out of gas heading to Echo Bay to get gas. It sucked.....I was going with the wind to Echo Bay in my Formula 312.....easily 5-6 footers. I though for sure I was going to run out....put on my life jacket in case I did run out and the boat sank. No better feeling than getting to Echo Bay, filling the belly with gas and blasting back out there INTO the wind.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Registered

whats a good older cig -84-89 that would work for what I noted up top and not break the piggy bank..

Last edited by BiLLyLaurianO; 10-22-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

31 Bullet.