Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   drain or anti-freeze (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/219041-drain-anti-freeze.html)

glassdave 10-25-2009 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by sleek1 (Post 2978795)
When you guys spray your whole engine down with WD-40, do you wash it off before you run it? Or does the WD simply evaporate over time?

yes i wash it off in the spring but it seems like most of its gone by then. Engines have looked great since new.

rob6773 10-25-2009 08:25 AM

I do almost all my own work. I only went to a marine place for lowering in a new engine/alignment/drive repair. They only dropped it in and aligned it. I did everything else, infact, they consider my boat "modified" and they don't care for working on modded boats.

I ran it out of gas. (Sea tow brought me back in.) I somehow burned 9 gallons in an hour. The fuel we went out with had a lot of additive in it, both stabil and star tron. When I flushed at home that day I disconnected the fuel tank and ran it from a can of cam2 110 leaded. I think this stuff has an amazing shelf life.

Today here is what I plan to do-
1) Run it on the fuel can again 110 leaded, but put oil in the gas, my still new fuel filter should be protected by this and my carbs primary bowel will be protected. I may drain the other half of the carb so this mixture can enter.
2) Warm up engine
3) Suck oil out
5) Dump oil filter
6) Fill with cheapo 10W-40 and lucas oil stabilizer
7) Warm engine again
8) Drain block, headers, cooler to get a lot of the water out.
9) 4 gallons of west marine anti-freeze, five gallon bucket w/sump pump going to my perco flusher
10) Fogging oil as I run low of anti-freeze
11) Remove drive

I want to leave the batteries, I have the plugs all set to just plug in a charger. I want to uncover and crank a half rotation in the every month to proctect the cylinders and valve springs. In the spring I will warm it up(maybe with seafoam added to the crankcase) and then changed out the cheapo
10w-40 with a new wix filter, 1 gal. rotella, and two quarts pennzoil racing 25W-50. That way I know at the beginning of next year the engine will be very clean without any condensation in the oil system.

GO4BROKE 10-25-2009 08:37 AM

Rotating the engine is good for the springs but I worry about the dry bearings/cylinder walls. I would want a preluber.

rob6773 10-25-2009 08:38 AM

I also am going to hose spray the whole engine compartment to protect everything.

rob6773 10-25-2009 08:40 AM

go4broke, this is why I am going to run it after installing the oil, this is also the purpose of the stabilizer, it makes the oil sticky and cling to parts better.