Notices

New endurance racer

Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Do you plan to build more of these if it performs as planned?

Or is this the one and only ?

Thanks
Jon
The boat is being rigged and we will be making race and leisure versions with an optional open or removable roof - some renderings of what the leisure boat may look like - Also available in plain white!

The design is for big offshore races such as Round Britain and Cowes - Monte Carlo, a lot of lift is what you may need in big Atlantic conditions!
Attached Thumbnails New endurance racer-p019_017.jpg   New endurance racer-p019_20.jpg  

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you make your own canopy windscreens?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Do you make your own canopy windscreens?
Hi, we have them made over here in the UK - it worked out expensive shipping them over from the US although I would have preferred dealing with a company more used to making canopy screens - the ones we have worked out great though.

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cookee
The design is for big offshore races such as Round Britain and Cowes - Monte Carlo, a lot of lift is what you may need in big Atlantic conditions!
Cookie,

Can you educate me a little more on the high lift and how it works compared to a traditional V-bottom with steps?

I understand we all enjoy lift and less drag.
Steps for more air under the hull and less drag.

So how are you getting more lift? Is it simply just the extreme width of your strakes?

Also why does more lift benifit you in big seas?

We all love speed and that obvious, but is ride quality
sacrificed too with all the lift and staying on top in rough seas
rather than the water acting as a partial cushion as the boat re-enters rather than the hull smacking and staying on top due to the lift features?

And are there any other side affects from having so much lift?
Kinda like stepped hulls were handling/turning is done at much slower speeds than an old true non-stepped V-Bottom.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,..........always appreciated.

Jon
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cougarman
Cookie,

Can you educate me a little more on the high lift and how it works compared to a traditional V-bottom with steps?

I understand we all enjoy lift and less drag.
Steps for more air under the hull and less drag.

So how are you getting more lift? Is it simply just the extreme width of your strakes?

Also why does more lift benifit you in big seas?

We all love speed and that obvious, but is ride quality
sacrificed too with all the lift and staying on top in rough seas
rather than the water acting as a partial cushion as the boat re-enters rather than the hull smacking and staying on top due to the lift features?

And are there any other side affects from having so much lift?
Kinda like stepped hulls were handling/turning is done at much slower speeds than an old true non-stepped V-Bottom.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,..........always appreciated.

Jon
Sorry I missed a crucial word out - Bow lift! We have lots of recovery in the bow area for those big following seas to stop the nose getting buried - ask anyone who took part in the Cowes Torquay race this year, and that was in Lyme bay not in the proper ocean (probably worse in reality).

We are only running small 3 litre diesels with 260hp per side so we have to be clever with the hull - it isn't a plain Vee in the centre section that will help with the lift at sub 70mph speeds but not too much (I hope).

The way our steps work is not "or more air under the hull", but so that the hull rides on the transom and the rear step in perfect flat water and both steps and the transom in rougher conditions, that reduces the wetted area and reduces drag - the large vents you can see at the side of the steps is to guarantee a clean breakaway as the water leaves each step instead of sucking the water up into the vent if the vent gets closed off. (Picture as it was coming out of the mould)

I hope that makes sense - it's easier for me to explain things in person I'm afraid!
Attached Thumbnails New endurance racer-img_0025-l.jpg  

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Real nice looking Boat,Good luck and safe boating.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cookee
Sorry I missed a crucial word out - Bow lift! We have lots of recovery in the bow area for those big following seas to stop the nose getting buried - ask anyone who took part in the Cowes Torquay race this year, and that was in Lyme bay not in the proper ocean (probably worse in reality).

We are only running small 3 litre diesels with 260hp per side so we have to be clever with the hull - it isn't a plain Vee in the centre section that will help with the lift at sub 70mph speeds but not too much (I hope).

The way our steps work is not "or more air under the hull", but so that the hull rides on the transom and the rear step in perfect flat water and both steps and the transom in rougher conditions, that reduces the wetted area and reduces drag - the large vents you can see at the side of the steps is to guarantee a clean breakaway as the water leaves each step instead of sucking the water up into the vent if the vent gets closed off. (Picture as it was coming out of the mould)

I hope that makes sense - it's easier for me to explain things in person I'm afraid!

Actually makes perfect sense,.........thanks for the explanation.
How soon till you hope to get testing underway?

Thanks again
Jon
Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking boat. Big pad bottom on that thing, and it looks like I could hide in those steps

That thing should be pretty fast.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Cougarman - It's a brand new boat and I'm not putting a date on testing but we hope to be racing at the end of May from Torquay to Guernsey across the English Channel.

Philm - I hope it is fast! The steps are actually quite a normal layout but the vents are big, this will prevent the steps from getting shut off by water when the boat rolls.

Some more updates:

Floors and Forward bulkhead is in, note the soft foam mounts so that we don't end up with a hard spot in the hull

New gantry crane arrived last week to make fitting the engines a whole lot easier - this baby will lift two at a time!

The plug for the rear end is pretty much done in terms of shape, just have to remove it from the boat and make it shiny so we can take a mould off it!

Steel engine mounts have been fabricated which will make it easier to attach a cradle to support the motors for the beating they'll get when we start racing. These attach to the motor - we have high grade mounts and steels supports on the central Hog - Those motors are staying where we put them!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cookie,

Very nice work of your forward progress.

Once you make your mold off the rear plug and laminate the rear.....
is that going to be a bolt on rear section? Or will you glass and tab it in place to actually become part of the hull?

Thanks again,.....great thread, great pics,..great craftsmen :-)

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.