GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA >

GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA

Notices

GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA

Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

The 454 LSX apparently can be run on 92 octane with 11.1:1 pistons (not sure how that is), but this article (if true and accurate) is quite a testimonial:

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...erationLSX.pdf

Interesting stuff...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe 5 minutes isnt a very long time at WOT? I have never run any of my motors at WOT more than a minute or two. Different applications I guess.

My motor is coming from Marine Power, but I have driven a couple of boats that had the same power plant from Kodiak. Both seemed to run out really well.

Last edited by MTRiverrunner; 11-17-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
The 454 LSX apparently can be run on 92 octane with 11.1:1 pistons (not sure how that is), but this article (if true and accurate) is quite a testimonial:

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...erationLSX.pdf

Interesting stuff...
That looks super cool!! I wonder how low you could get the compression so you could supercharge it?

That seems like a winner to me!

MP
Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We started with crate engines. Marinized them and then ran them stock to get a 550 hp baseline. Changed the cam and ran some more at aprox 600hp. Went throught the engines and changed compression and cam again to match.

The big part has been the tune. We did all the tune in the boat then upgraded the engines got a base cal and modified the tune in the boat again. They are very efficient. On the dyno 650hp on one and 649hp on the other.

800 hp with high compression and good fuel is where we will end up. The point was to push the engines and find the weak parts. We have changed the pulley (on the tensioner) for the serpentine belt because we lost a belt in the rough. Thats it.

It is very hard to put a number on prototypes we have been treading new ground for a while now. Helps to have good friends....not sure they want to still talk to us about this project anymore.

We have been working on these engines to put a complete package together (engine / transmission / drive) for the marine and offroad. The hp/weight ratio is hard to beat.

pat W
Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by shifter
We started with crate engines. Marinized them and then ran them stock to get a 550 hp baseline. Changed the cam and ran some more at aprox 600hp. Went throught the engines and changed compression and cam again to match.

The big part has been the tune. We did all the tune in the boat then upgraded the engines got a base cal and modified the tune in the boat again. They are very efficient. On the dyno 650hp on one and 649hp on the other.

800 hp with high compression and good fuel is where we will end up. The point was to push the engines and find the weak parts. We have changed the pulley (on the tensioner) for the serpentine belt because we lost a belt in the rough. Thats it.

It is very hard to put a number on prototypes we have been treading new ground for a while now. Helps to have good friends....not sure they want to still talk to us about this project anymore.

We have been working on these engines to put a complete package together (engine / transmission / drive) for the marine and offroad. The hp/weight ratio is hard to beat.

pat W

Thank you for the information, great concept coming to fruition. I really like Pantera's new 28' twin step, and I think that (your package) set-up would be ideal.

I have lots of ideas....just cost $$$. But gathering the information is the first stage and that is where I am, my timetable is uncertain, ....

I wish you best, keep me updated if you can.

Thanks,

Stephen
[email protected]
Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any one interested in an LS 9 thats bolted to a brand new ZR 1 around 127 K ?? 638 hp
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The article mentions you can get to 500ci with the tall deck 9.7 version of the LSX block. That would help get the torque numbers up even further.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Look at this, and look at the price with headers. Just saw this in the classifieds today.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32809-en.html
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Look at this, and look at the price with headers. Just saw this in the classifieds today.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32809-en.html
Wow... both are nice packages. 800runsnew is a pretty decent operation too, from what i've read.
So... who's gonna step up?
IMO, a pair of the naturally aspirated package would be sufficient to push todays 28-30ft boats to about 90, and 5600rpm and 435tq would not hurt bravos. Man... i sound like a broken record.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Wow... both are nice packages. 800runsnew is a pretty decent operation too, from what i've read.
So... who's gonna step up?
IMO, a pair of the naturally aspirated package would be sufficient to push todays 28-30ft boats to about 90, and 5600rpm and 435tq would not hurt bravos. Man... i sound like a broken record.

It has been a while, but I thought you might like this LS S/C from Keith Eickert/Don Onken

LS block, 415 cu.in., 675 hp, Vortech supercharger. I do not know the cost, but the it looks pretty dam good.

"The new generation 675 is here. The same performance and reliability as the 575 “Super Mouse”, but with the added boost from a Vortech Twin Screw Supercharger! Experience the fun of trouble free boating from Lightning Performance Group!" - quote from the website:

http://www.lightningperformancegroup...ngine-675.html
Attached Thumbnails GM Small Blocks: LS9 & LSA-675-hp-offshore-racing-engine.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.