Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas. >

Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas.

Notices

Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas.

I have bought a Garmin 741 and am in the process of finding a place to mount it on my Formula 292. I hate the idea of drilling screw holes in the dash, and just had the idea of taking the compass out and using the large hole as the basis for mounting the Garmin.
Of course, an adapter of some kind would have to be made, but it seams like a decent idea that could make sense. The transition from the round hole to a flat mounting plate for the Garmin bracket would not be too difficult to make. And if it was done right, it should be pretty solid

Anyone done this, or have advice?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

You could saw cut the compass boss out, and make a panel to cover it, then flush mount the Garmin (this is a 741 in the pic)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552152[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Removing compass and using hole in dash to mount Garmin...looking for ideas.-garmin-close-up.jpg  
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I did this on my PP, I took some measurements and a drawing of a mounting "box/bracket" to a local plastics fabricator along with the GPS. He made a very nice wedge shaped mounting box that canted the GPS towards my line of sight, he painted it to look like the gel coat as close as possible. It worked perfectly, and I even rimmed it with velcro on the inside perimeter so I could take it out when I was done for the day, one last thing for someone to steal. I don't have a pic unfortunately but I could mock something up on the cad to give you an idea sometime if you need something to visualize.

The fabricator was just a local LLC that most cities of reasonable size should have a few of.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

LOL...frickstyle must have posted at the same time I did. My fabrication was very similar to his GPS mount but it was canted a little more towards the driver, maybe an 1 1/2" higher in the back.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a perfect 3D printing project.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

On my Scarab the compass hole was on the flat part of the dash. I found a flat smooth dinner plate about 2" larger than the hole, waxed it and used it as a mold and made a fiberglass cover. Drilled the holes the match the compass. Painted it black (to match the dash) and mounted the GPS on it.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...h-9_600x0w.jpg

if you look at the dash, the layout is kind of tight already. I am sure I could not lay it down and have the angle to maintain readability as it is so high realative to driver POV. I also really dont want to cut into the dash....but keep the ideas coming. I am not surprised that this is not the first time this has been thought of.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

That's what I want mine to look like someday!!! Beautiful!!!
Old 03-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

You might want to check your Coast Guard Safety Regulations before removing your magnetic compass. Canadian regulations still require a magnetic compass on boats over 26 feet.

Last edited by floatingphil; 03-11-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Looks like space is very tight...can a Garmin or anything fit between the dash and windshield? Maybe jut make a plate and mount the GPS Ant on it and mount the Garmin on the passenger side for the Navigator
If you do have the space how about a semi-sunken design? If you have a good glass guy maybe even have it flip over so its hidden when not in use?
Attached Images  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.