Pickups - Thru-hull or Transom mount??? >

Pickups - Thru-hull or Transom mount???

Notices

Pickups - Thru-hull or Transom mount???

Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pickups - Thru-hull or Transom mount???

I have the motor out of my 28' Nordic Heat for some upgrades, and need to install a water pickup for my innercooler.

The boat is a v-bottom with a single step, and a notched transom. It also has a small pad that extends about 6 ft forward in a v-pattern, with the widest part of the pad being about 8 inches wide at the rear. I will not be putting the pickup in the notch area so as to not disturb water flow to the prop. I would like to install the pickup outside the prop diameter area for the same reason... unless I go thru hull, and mount it about 2 ft forward of the notch, on the pad or to the side of it.

It needs to be AN-12, and will have a seperate sea-strainer.

Do you think going thru the hull, or doing an adjustable transom mount pickup would be faster??

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 10-30-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I would use one of the adjustable transom mounts. Reason is the ease of adjustability. With the steps you are going to have to play with the depth of the pickup. My through hull pickups, which were done by DCB, are on the bottom of the boat. Fore of the inlet is trenched to allow water in. This would be a lot of work trial and error. Gel coating necessary. When I turn left or right there is a definite difference in water pressure.
It would be worth a call to Nordic to see where they would mount the pickup. If you put the pickup on either side of the pad it will have to be deeper. Worst case if you transom mount and don't like it with testing, it will be much easier to move with the motor in. Eric
Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt

Anyone else...

How about someone experienced with installing thru-hull fittings and setup etc.

Chris