Notices

engine parts cost?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine parts cost?

approx how much are the part to build a complete engine from the grown up.. with the best parts.. something like a teague 800 with a wipple blower. Parts only..

Anyone?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Registered

whippled 800hp reliable marine engine from ground up using new parts?
Wild guess would be 25k in parts alone without machine work or labor...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Jeff,
Much more expensive than you'd think to put top quality parts. If you used all top shelf parts 30K. You could get away with some medium grade stuff with 800hp for 25K. Eddie is building me some 1000+ HP whipples now and it is expensive. He could probably tell you exactly what it would cost. I'm including accessories.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by customryder
approx how much are the part to build a complete engine from the grown up.. with the best parts.. something like a teague 800 with a wipple blower. Parts only..

Anyone?
Teague Custom Marine will provide you with a list of every part, machining, and labor on their invoice for their motors. It is not cheap to build a reliable package with all the right parts. It also goes far beyond that with all of the labor involved. If you are looking at the Teague 800 Whipples in the classifieds with 18 hours on them the owner should be able to provide the build sheets. You will also be hard pressed to find another engine builder that stands behind their product like Bob Teague.

Those motors would be an excellent choice for that 3900 Nortech you are looking at. If you can get a reasonable buy on those motors you cannot go wrong.

Your post is rather interesting though as I thought you were a " Merc " only boater.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Teague Custom Marine will provide you with a list of every part, machining, and labor on their invoice for their motors. It is not cheap to build a reliable package with all the right parts. It also goes far beyond that with all of the labor involved. If you are looking at the Teague 800 Whipples in the classifieds with 18 hours on them the owner should be able to provide the build sheets. You will also be hard pressed to find another engine builder that stands behind their product like Bob Teague.

Those motors would be an excellent choice for that 3900 Nortech you are looking at. If you can get a reasonable buy on those motors you cannot go wrong.

Your post is rather interesting though as I thought you were a " Merc " only boater.
well that would be my first choice on a resale stand point, but anything above 525s gets pricey in a hurry.. the 800 teagues are a pretty good buy i think.and should take the boat pass 100 pretty easy.. it did 115 with 900s..

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

All of the parts and accessories to build a top notch 800 hp Whipple EFI engine will run 35+K. That is with absolutely no machine work or labor. Could you build it cheaper.....sure, but I wouldn't do it. You get what you pay for and parts are very expensive.
On the labor side, it takes me about 200-250 hrs to build one start to finish. It could be done faster, but you are inviting mistakes. Hell, I spend about 20 hours on paint alone.
Eddie
Old 10-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Hell, I spend about 20 hours on paint alone.
Eddie
It shows...your mills look great
Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you very much.
Eddie
Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
All of the parts and accessories to build a top notch 800 hp Whipple EFI engine will run 35+K. That is with absolutely no machine work or labor. Could you build it cheaper.....sure, but I wouldn't do it. You get what you pay for and parts are very expensive.
On the labor side, it takes me about 200-250 hrs to build one start to finish. It could be done faster, but you are inviting mistakes. Hell, I spend about 20 hours on paint alone.
Eddie
is that retail list, or dealer cost? I know in my business in car and motorcycle parts I get 30% off list... I would guess around the same here?

Last edited by customryder; 10-31-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of building a 700HP 540 with all GOOD brand name parts. I thought I could do it for 7K. This price was just parts and maching, no labor. You need to consider all the other little parts needed to rig a motor up correctly. Parts like braided line, AN fitting,fuel and oil heads and fittings,engine coupler,ect. The stuff adds up fast. My 7K project will now be 14K. Take what ever you thing it is going to cost and about double it by the time you are finally finished. Jeff Wurl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.