Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lenco HD's or Eddie Marine Tabs>>? >

Lenco HD's or Eddie Marine Tabs>>?

Notices

Lenco HD's or Eddie Marine Tabs>>?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lenco HD's or Eddie Marine Tabs>>?

Looking for input on some tabs/planes for my next purchase

Lenco HD
http://www.wmjmarine.com/29259.html

witch i can end up around $1g w/ indicators

or the eddie marines

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/car...l&p=12440&c=37

witch im at $1600 w/ out indicators.
They are going on a checkmate 235 persuader is it really gonna be worth the extra buck>? I also looked at the reqular style billet eddie tabs for 800.00. Iv been told so many things by different salesmen my heads spinning. Im just confused how everyones products the best>? I love the look of those anodized eddie planes but a extra 700+$$ !!.....someone make this simple on me please
Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure about those particular Lenco tabs, but most of the tabs like that only power down. They are just spring loaded to make them come up. When you press the button to raise the tabs, a solenoid opens and lets the spring pressure push the fluid back into the pump. The problem with that is that in faster boats, the water pressure under the tabs wants to pull them down. The water pressure will overcome the spring pressure and the tab will start to lower while you are running. Obviously, this will cost some speed. At what speed? it depends on the boat, spring pressure, etc. I have seen it happen at 70 mph. I will not install them on a boat that will run over 80 mph. It could become dangerous in a fast boat.
The Eddie Marine tabs are pretty nice. I have installed several sets over the years. When they first came out, I had some problems with quality. They have since fixed that and the last few sets have worked great. I think they are worth the investment over the Lenco's. You may also want to look at the Dana Marine tabs. I am a dealer for both Eddie and Dana, so give me a shout and I will give you the best price I can. I look forward to speaking with you.
Eddie
Old 11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie what about those thin electric Lencos? Are they safe for 80+?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered

The Lenco tabs are a screw type actuator, which functions in both the up and down position, much like the your hatch actuator. I had a set on a 24 foot boat. They worked well for that application, but I feel they function slower than hydraulic.

With regard to installation, the Lenco's are easier to install, as they do not require hydraulic plumming, and they do not bolt through the transom. Insted, they use a #14, 1.25" screws, and 5200.

My last two boats have had Dana Marine tabs, which are very close to the Eddie Marine tabs. They have been fantastic. They react quickly and are through bolted. But if you dont run a boat hard, and want ease of installation, the Lenco's may work for you.

Last edited by Oh Deere; 11-01-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Deere
The Lenco tabs are a screw type actuator, which functions in both the up and down position, much like the your hatch actuator. I had a set on a 24 foot boat. They worked well for that application, but I feel they function slower than hydraulic.

With regard to installation, the Lenco's are easier to install, as they do not require hydraulic plumming, and they do not bolt through the transom. Insted, they use a #14, 1.25" screws, and 5200.

My last two boats have had Dana Marine tabs, which are very close to the Eddie Marine tabs. They have been fantastic. They react quickly and are through bolted. But if you dont run a boat hard, and want ease of installation, the Lenco's may work for you.
I would think the #14 screws will pull out easy,Ive even seen the bolt style pull thu on a race boat before.

Rob
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Eddie what about those thin electric Lencos? Are they safe for 80+?
Well, if it is a screw type actuator like Oh Deere stated, then I wouldn't think it could pull down with water pressure. I don't see how it could. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm not that familiar with them. I recently removed a pair to install 280 K planes and the customer said it made a night and day difference. I did not drive the boat with the Lenco's, so I'm not sure how much better it was. It was a 26' Velocity that ran well into the 90's.
They just look kind of cheap to me.....like they would bend and pull the screws out if you accidently shoved them down to far and put to much pressure on them. I thought they were like the Bennett's and others that only power down. Those are the ones that will pull down on you at higher speeds.
For the little bit extra $, I would go with the Eddie's or similar.
Eddie
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Registered

Default size info

now if i go with the eddies what size should i go for, 12x17 or 12x24 they are the same price... Question being is that to big of a tab for my kinda small boat>? What are the ill effects of to big>?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

The 12 x 17 is plenty enough tab for that boat. It is just a touch smaller than the 280 K planes. Going to big can get you in trouble if you put them down too far or if the trim switch sticks. One switch could stick and only put one tab down. With a tab that large, you could really get the boat laying on it's side and possibly get in trouble. Good luck with it and give me a shout if I can help.
Eddie
Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On smaller singles it depends on the application. If all you want to do is control list, the Lenco's will be fine. If you want to stabilize a boat at higher speeds, it is better to spend the money.

Young Performance took off my Bennett tabs and put some 280's on my 26ZX. I would not dream of having anything less on my boat at 85+. Before the 280's my boat could get out of hand if upset in a cross chop. Very upset (Just ask Eddie here). You would have to walk it down. Now I can hit them down and settle it out quick. I know where they are and I know that I have some real hardware.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

I installed and through bolted a set of Lenco Hi perf tabs,they work good and I like them better than the insta trim tabs I had on my other boat,they are a screw drive so they stay in place and wont spring back,twin engine boat that runs around 75 mph gps
Attached Thumbnails Lenco HD's or Eddie Marine Tabs>>?-tabs-002.jpg   Lenco HD's or Eddie Marine Tabs>>?-tabs-001.jpg  

Last edited by boatnt; 11-03-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.