Notices

USCG Documented

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=seafordguy;2984722]While we are on the subject of it I don't think a 26' PQ is eligible for documentation. I believe there is a footage requirement of 30'.

I believe there is a minimum tonnage requirement.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes no feet limits just tonnage minimum, the biggest pain has been no reg numbers on side,and going to an inland lake some wildlife and coast guards at lakes dont see doc boats alot or any..has made for some long days
Old 11-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Registered

Virginia Beach is 0%, they talked about raising it a couple years ago and it was voted down. The cities around here know that people will move boats to areas with the lowest PPT. We will see if the issue comes up again,
Old 11-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Hampton VA is free.

Poquoson is 1% I believe.

York County is 1% if you are over 5Net Tons.
no chitt.hampton is looking good.do you have to prove that your boat is kept there?the county that i keep mine in now just send me a bill,and i pay it,no proof,no squabling,nothing,jus pay-up.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 777 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by redbud35
I believe there is a minimum tonnage requirement.
There is - I know that is 5Net Tons. I thought there was a footage requirement as well.

EDIT - I just looked and there doesn't appear to be.

Originally Posted by bcfountain
no chitt.hampton is looking good.do you have to prove that your boat is kept there?the county that i keep mine in now just send me a bill,and i pay it,no proof,no squabling,nothing,jus pay-up.
I don't know - it will depend on how intense your local tax authority is on enforecement.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by topfueleb
Yes no feet limits just tonnage minimum, the biggest pain has been no reg numbers on side,and going to an inland lake some wildlife and coast guards at lakes dont see doc boats alot or any..has made for some long days
On the Potomac I never get looked at my Sonic and the NT were both Doc. with the same name no #'s on them and most of the time I would have the back covered with a big towel and you couldn't even see the name. The cops would roll by mess with other people and just go by me. Only once I was tied up at a bar and some DNR guys walked by one guy asked if I was Documented I said yes and they left, then ten minutes later they came back to see the paper work because the new guy had never seen what the paper work looked like I showed them how it all worked they thanked me for letting them look at it and left.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Or just live in PWC. or Fredricksburg. Stafford isn't that big. I wanted waterfront property and there isn't that much around here that was what I needed. I could have got 20 acres off the water for what I spent on 1.5 on the water.
Isn't Fredricksberg in Stafford County? I don't think it's a city tax but a county tax. So I don't believe moving there would help. Perhaps I can "rent" your address in PW county? ;-) I think a lot will depend on the type of property/house I buy and if I can store it out of site. I don't have the $$$ to store it in a slip. Hell the amount of $$$$ they collect vs. the total number of boaters trailering their boats on their roads is ridiculous. They will never overturn that tax, it's a cash cow. T500hps and I discussed this last year when my work was thinking of transferring me, the Del incorp is definitely something to consider. Looks like there is a 70% chance I'm going this time around, which suxs, Dallas is cheap living!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bert4332
Isn't Fredricksberg in Stafford County? I don't think it's a city tax but a county tax. So I don't believe moving there would help. Perhaps I can "rent" your address in PW county? ;-) I think a lot will depend on the type of property/house I buy and if I can store it out of site. I don't have the $$$ to store it in a slip. Hell the amount of $$$$ they collect vs. the total number of boaters trailering their boats on their roads is ridiculous. They will never overturn that tax, it's a cash cow. T500hps and I discussed this last year when my work was thinking of transferring me, the Del incorp is definitely something to consider. Looks like there is a 70% chance I'm going this time around, which suxs, Dallas is cheap living!
No it's another county, but Prince William County has no boat tax and more bigger boat ramps and marinas than the other countys. Plus more of the hang out places are north on the river. Houses in PWC go from 100k to 5 mil. so I would look there if I were you.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Registered

I doc'ed my 27 Fountain. Was great deal, until the Marina turned in the slip owners. Then they come a calling!! NC is getting smarter.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered

It comes down to the schools, can't afford Alexandria, so Stafford is rated pretty high, can't really afford much North of Stafford and still be in a good school district.