Notices

Offshore racing on CBS

Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Funny how motocross became popular with spectators when it moved onto stadium racecourses and it worked. Maybe it was because there's a powerfull group called the AMA that controlled the sport vs. a multitude of splinter groups attempting to run events.

ed
Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Ricky Carmichael for sure and Chad Reed turned down a $30mm total comp package down in 2007/08. I would also not be surprised if Motocross has a higher TV rating than Indy car or Sprint Car. I do not believe either of those two have their entire season televised. I'm not even counting all the MX/SC off shoot shows like the Red Bull Free Style tour and TV or the X Games etc.

For Offshore to ever get close to this level we would need to bring the fans closer to the sport via television, on board cameras, big personalities, younger drivers, more air shots, more crashes and a way to control attendance.
I believe all of Nascar is televised as is all of Formula 1. I haven't watched a motocross race since Art Eckmann stopped doing the commentary...... and ......as somebody with no dog in the fight.....I can't conceive how it can be as big as either of the 4 wheel circuits. Indycar has probably dropped to second tier now that it has stooped to exploiting a mildly talented, sexy brat over the actual guys who race hard in the trenches.

Everytime you put hype over honesty......you blow it. People are just not as stupid as PR types believe.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-11-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I was wondering why that is, don't get me wrong I know that Motocross is more popular the Offshore Powerboat Racing and is Televised. Could it be that the fans get to see continuous race action right in front of them and there is a group of racers battling it out at ever turn and jump. Do you think that Offshore Powerboat Racing could be more popular if they raced close to the fans and where the fans could see the entire race course up close to them.
No, because it would not be offshore racing. Why isn't F1 or Unlimited Hydro more popular? If all it took was being close to spectators those two would be on TV every weekend.

I remember watching the Unlimiteds on TV. It was more than just a once in a while thing on wide world of sports. I believe the whole season used to be televised. But those were the days when Bernie Little was the man behind the whole show. It seemed that after Bernie was gone, so went the promotion of the sport. And offshore never had the following they did.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to see that this didn't go throught this year. It would be great if it did.

I hear all the problems about logistics and fans and venues etc as being to hard to pull together.

What about air racing. Have you guys seen the logistics involved in that traveling show.

I mean loading the entire show, planes, control towers, grand stands, everyhing onto airplanes to be transported to the next venue. And they have venues in different COUNTRIES.

We don't even have very far to move all this equipment. We can move all of our stuff on trucks and races are several weeks apart. If they can do it for a very elitest sport like air racing, why is this so dificult to get done in boat racing.

IMO, maybe this sport is to big all ready with all the diferent organizations that are promoting racing.

Example, there is only 1 NFL, 1 NBA, 1 NASCAR, 1 IRL.

There are what? 4 different offshore sanctioning bodies. Hell, I work to try and figure this stuff out, and I am still confused most of the time. And I have read a lot of the rules of OPA, OSS, and IPBA.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I traveled with CBS golf for a couple seasons during summers when I was in college, and the things that a remote TV production crew can do are amazing.

IMO, the only reason powerboat racing is NOT main strem is because there are to many greedy ego's out there that aren't interested in promoting the sport, they are only interested in promoting what is going to support their personal interests.

Thanks for letting me post. I enjoy reading and learning what you guy have to say about this stuff so that when I can finally get into it, I will have a better understanding of what goes on out there.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Coach
What a concept...

Where could offshore powerboat racing be if that was a principal instilled into it's nature!

Coach
Frankly, integrity, is the ingredient that is missing. There are boat loads of enthusiasm for every cockeyed idea that comes along...... but very little legitimacy behind them.

Maybe at the end of the day the loss of simple integrity is what happened to the sport. It went from a simple, no holds barred race against man and nature....to a place for drunks and show offs to gather and posture. I know it is odd to look back at an era of drug kings as a more honest period but the B.S. level today is over the top.

I watched it happen, but can't give you the reasons for the change, other than our society has also been reduced to worshipping (and electing) instant gratification, hollow promises, and self aggrandizement.

If I see one more NFL linebacker pat himself on the chest after a routine tackle....... I'm going to puke....but this is the example that our young people are following complete with gold teeth, silly flat brim baseball hats at cockeyed angles and a hip hop overture.

Since there is already so much crap on music TV maybe the "new breed" of boat racing...is redundant.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-11-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Frankly, integrity, is the ingredient that is missing. There are boat loads of enthusiasm for every cockeyed idea that comes along...... but very little legitimacy behind them.

Maybe at the end of the day the loss of simple integrity is what happened to the sport. It went from a simple, no holds barred race against man and nature....to a place for drunks and show offs to gather and posture. I know it is odd to look back at an era of drug kings as a more honest period but the B.S. level today is over the top.

I watched it happen, but can't give you the reasons for the change, other than our society has also been reduced to worshipping (and electing) instant gratification, hollow promises, and self agrandizement.

If I see one more NFL linebacker pat himself on the chest after a routine tackle....... I'm going to puke....but this is the example that our young people are following complete with gold teeth, silly flat brim baseball hats at cockeyed angles and a hip hop overture.

Since there is already so much crap on music TV maybe the "new breed" of boat racing...is redundant.

T2x
I had to google this one.

aggrandizement

The act of aggrandizing, or the state of being aggrandized or exalted in power, rank, honor, or wealth; exaltation; enlargement; as, the emperor seeks only the aggrandizement of his own family.

Syn. -- Augmentation; exaltation; enlargement; advancement; promotion; preferment.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
as, the emperor seeks only the aggrandizement of his own family.
Which, as we know, is almost impossible when he has no clothes.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
In a word no. Motocross is much easier to explain and a MX bike is much more attainable to the average household. The manufactures are marketing savvy and engineering driven. The racers at the top can make a very good living rather then having to spend several very good livings.
Steve
1) This is true and a good point.

2) Someone else mentioned stadium racing - that is true as well,
Supercross is a big hit and I agree because the action is right there in front of everyone to see. Plus, is on tv which spreads and builds the base. In recent years the drama has been high. carmichael vs stewart was huge, with reed always bringing in 3rd. Then Ricky retired leaving Stewart v Reed in a heated battle last season.

3) Someone mentioned Offshore racing greatest sport ever. I appreciate your spirit, but don't think that stands a chance. Yes it could be way better. no doubt. And if it were organized and televised it could/would grow.

4) True long distance offshore racing is awesome, but boats are big and need a lot of room to run, making any kind of stadium concept impossible.

5) What little off-shore racing I have seen over the last 10-15 years seems biased towards money over talent. It takes a chitload of money to play, and whoever has the most money (=best equipment, best mechanics, etc.) gets to the podium the most.
Maybe it is like this in many sports, but off-shore racing seems to be plagued with it.
No offense to any racers on here. I hope off-shore finds it's way. I would like nothing more than to someday see it in HD from the comfort of my living room
-I'd choose that over NFL or NASCAR anyday.

-just my 5¢ of randomness.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
What about air racing. Have you guys seen the logistics involved in that traveling show.

I mean loading the entire show, planes, control towers, grand stands, everyhing onto airplanes to be transported to the next venue. And they have venues in different COUNTRIES.
That's a good point, but I think the reason that sport exists and gets exposure is because RED BULL has so much phucking money they just flat out make it happen! Without RB's support, I'd bet it would probably be lower on the totem pole than off-shore.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by socalstone
That's a good point, but I think the reason that sport exists and gets exposure is because RED BULL has so much phucking money they just flat out make it happen! Without RB's support, I'd bet it would probably be lower on the totem pole than off-shore.
I can tell you that the Ontario Government gave 3.2 Million Dollars to the City of Windsor, to bring the Red Bull Air Races to Windsor, Ontario in 2009. I heard they were trying to get them back for 2010 but that remains to be seen. Maybe one day they will consider an Offshore Powerboat Race on the Detroit River instead of the Red Bull Air Races for a fraction of the cost and a lot more exciting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.