Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Offshore racing on CBS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/219511-offshore-racing-cbs.html)

jayboat 11-09-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Phil M (Post 2988347)
Our still photography was nothing compared to your work -

Phil

Thank you.

From what I've seen, I would beg to disagree with you. :drink:

Phil M 11-09-2009 07:07 PM

"Do a book, Phil"

T2X is the one that should do a book - he and Darren have all the knowledge, facts, and stories that would curl your hair, and have you laughing all day long -

Phil

jayboat 11-09-2009 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Phil M (Post 2988351)
"Do a book, Phil"

T2X is the one that should do a book - he and Darren have all the knowledge, facts, and stories that would curl your hair, and have you laughing all day long -

Phil

Ok, but his goes in the comedy section.

I bet a large coffee table style book- 14x14 or so, 60-80 pages of your pix would be a hit. Let T2X write the intro. :drink:

waterboy1 11-09-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Phil M (Post 2988351)
"Do a book, Phil"

Phil

There is no doubt that there is plenty of knowledge on this thread...but lets try to be positive on how to get offshore racing headed in the right direction again.There are certain elements about the past and present format that should combined into what still can be the greatest motorsport ever.
Lets all work together for the betterment of the sport!

Fast Shafts 11-09-2009 08:21 PM

I agree Waterboy!!

AB From Windsor 11-09-2009 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokeybandit (Post 2988117)
Please help me figure out what the short courses have done to help the growth of offshore racing as a sport. There have never been fewer boats racing and there have never been more classes. If the quality of the product on short courses is so wonderful, why don't you see the guys doing the video of the races posting segments online to increase interest. Go to youtube and find me anything but a glorified music video of a short course race. On the other hand, look at some of the stuff that is out there from Phil and Rich and it's always about the racing. IN MY OPINION, a key reason for no coverage for shourt course racing is becauase it's boring and confusing. I think it's great that these boats can go 180mph. But that doesn't make them offshore boats. Offshore racing was never meant to find the top speed or the cornering capability of a boat. It was meant to pit man and machine against the elements.

I still don't understand why all of these changes that have been made to gain spectators have resulted in fewer spectators and followers.

Lets' just say that in the beginning, Offshore Powerboat Racing was on the ocean and no one ever thought about a short race course's or about spectators. Over the decades the boats have changed as well as the race course and spectators wanted to see more race action and continuous race action that the long Ocean races never could prove them with. Then Poker Runs came into being and over the last decade they have grown in size and popularity as everyone could participate in them and there were many boats that could easily have been Offshore race boats. With the introduction of Poker Runs I believe that it had stopped some boaters from getting into Offshore Powerboat Racing, when they could just go out in their new boats and see who was the fastest to each card stop. Promoting and developing race course for spectator viewing is very important. If the longer race courses are so great, why don't they bring them back and bring Offshore Powerboat Racing to it's glory years. You can't live in the past and blame the short course's for not bringing in the crowds. The fans and spectators don't want the longer courses where they can't see chit, they want to see race action and as close to them as possible. I'm sure that spectator's don't care whether you call it Offshore Powerboat Racing , Hydroplane Racing or what ever some want to call it, they want to see race action and the short course is what provides it to them. All we need is a healthier economy, the best race courses, that are spectator viewing friendly and unification so we can see more boats racing, more competition and live TV coverage of the races, which would educate people to what Offshore Powerboat Racing is and then maybe you could get some sponsors.

Eaton Photos 11-09-2009 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Phil M (Post 2988347)
Our still photography was nothing compared to your work -

Phil

Phil,

Jay, does have some amazing work. BUT, I think the little bit you have shared, is quite amazing, considering the technology that was available, in the day & age, in which you shot. Since autofocus, did not exist in the Film SLR world, till Minolta introduced it in 1987, the clarity of your images, is a testament, to the eyes behind the lens.

I also, would love to see the libraries, of your images.

Regards,

James

Phil M 11-10-2009 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Eaton Photos (Post 2988488)
Phil,

Jay, does have some amazing work. BUT, I think the little bit you have shared, is quite amazing, considering the technology that was available, in the day & age, in which you shot. Since autofocus, did not exist in the Film SLR world, till Minolta introduced it in 1987, the clarity of your images, is a testament, to the eyes behind the lens.

I also, would love to see the libraries, of your images.

Regards,

James

Thanks James -

T2x 11-10-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by waterboy1 (Post 2988390)
There is no doubt that there is plenty of knowledge on this thread...but lets try to be positive on how to get offshore racing headed in the right direction again.There are certain elements about the past and present format that should combined into what still can be the greatest motorsport ever.
Lets all work together for the betterment of the sport!

I respect your sentiment, but any effort that is based on the belief that Offshore Racing is the "greatest motorsport ever" is probably doomed. This is a prime example of the over exuberance that is so prevalent today.

It is no doubt exciting, but pales in comparison to other racing models.... even in the marine racing universe. THere is a 24 hour outboard event in Rheims, France that has night racing with headlights, pit stops, driver changes, and concrete walls on the river to deal with. You also need to attend a Champ boat or Unlimited race before you declare Offshore the Top Dog. Certainly the Indy 500, World 600, LeMans, and Monte Carlo aren't chopped liver either.

Basically, you have a niche sport with a limited but enthusiastic audience that deserves to be featured along with drag racing, Motocross, and other 2nd tier motorsports. That's not bad...and it will afford plenty of sponsorship, and publicity opportunities. To trumpet Offshore as something it's not and can never be is what got us into this mess in the first place.

You really have to take a step back and ask yourself if a sport that features a bunch of 5-35 year old hulls, in the majority, racing on short courses that they weren't designed for is really deserving of top billing against the likes of McLaren Mercedes, Penske, and Hendrick Motorsports...etc.

Wahoo ATV 11-10-2009 05:06 PM

I would not call Motocross a "2nd tier" motorsport. Top riders are making in excess of $30mm annually and their entire indoor season is televised on a major network in primetime.